Adding historical dates without clicking through every week

I want to add historical dates as an attribute but it brings up a daily/monthly calendar set to today. I do not want to click back a hundred years month by month – how can I adjust the year in one click? I am a complete beginner so tell me as simply as possible.

The date-picker pop-up is simple addition to Key Attributes for convenience, e.g. for picking a day eight days from now without needing to do the maths. The normal way to enter a date, via a key attribute, is simply to type it into the actual value box, ignoring the pop-up.

The normal typed-in format would be the OS’ short-date format which is date-delimiter-month-delimiter-year, except in the US where month and date order are reversed. The delimiter is most often a / characters but may vary depending on your OS locale (i.e. settings particular for your country).

Thank you! I was distracted by the pop up box. And if I want to assign just one date (say a letter written on 2 June 1840) which date attribute would be most suitable?

Tinderbox files, by default, include 3 Date-type attributes: StartDate, EndDate and DueDate and you can easily set these as key attributes by adding the built-in prototype ‘Event’ to your notes. However, you don’t have to use one of these. If you prefer, you can add your own Date-type user attribute via the Document Inspector’s User tab.

For now, to get started, I’d suggest using the ‘StartDate’ attribute. Generally in time based data, events with a single date (e.g. the date a letter was written) are recorded as a start date (the end implicitly being the same) whereas events with a duration have a start and an end.

There’s also the date attribute $MyDate, in the sandbox category.

Or, you can add your own Date attributes to the User attributes category.

Thank you. I also then want it just to show date but not time. This issue was addressed in a forum post from May 2017 but one of the links there is broken. It says I have to change $KeyAttributeDateFormat – but where do I do that?

It is in the Edit menu → Document Settings → Text. See here.