Additional $text area context menu options

[Admin note: moved into discrete thread from this old thread.]

Hi, I also can’t get this to work. Maybe this is a bug that needs fixing.

But rather than just kvetching, I would like to make a positive case for some other refinements. It would be cool if one could control click on a text phrase and add a link or institute other text-based transformations, such as highlighting text, which otherwise involve digging into the menus.

Over the last few years, I have found I can do more and more in the text pane itself, and it has been a tremendous boon to using tinderbox more productively.

Apologies if this post is a feature request and thus in the wrong place. I am not sure.

This relates to the old thread and the keyboard shortcut [Cmd]+[Opt]+[Ctrl]+L note opening the ‘Make Web Link’ dialog. At present, I can confirm I can’t get the assigned shortcut to work.

As to the feature request part, if I understand correctly you are suggesting there are extra selection-dependent additions to the $Text area right-click pop-up menu?

Yes, that’s right. There is a rich selection of functions one can access in the outline view but not in the $Text part of the note pane itself.

Personally I find clicking on text super useful. And similarly, I am a heavy user of PopClip.

The linking functions in Tinderbox have experience big leaps in functionality over the last few years, but in the note itself they are not entirely clear. Perhaps another way of linking to external URLs could also happen through the link dialogue box that pops up when one presses on the round link placeholder at the top of the note pane.

I also use tinder note URLs (i.e. [Cmd]+[Opt]+[Ctrl]+U) to link between different tinder documents., as well as backwards and forwards from Devonthink.

And thanks for picking up on this.

I’ve reported the issue of the shortcut(off-forum) as I believe it should work.

I’ve not tinkered with PopClip in a while but I suspect you might be able to make a PopClip extension to extend functionality for your work style.

This page explains how to make custom PopClip extensions: GitHub - pilotmoon/PopClip-Extensions: Documentation and source code for PopClip extensions.

Thanks Mark,

I might well have a tinker with that at some stage.

all best wishes,
Gavin

Make Web Link: ^⌥⌘-L

This works for me.

. It would be cool if one could control click on a text phrase and add a link or institute other text-based transformations, such as highlighting text, which otherwise involve digging into the menus.

We’ve got Bold, Italic, and such already. Would people like a highlight submenu for the text contextual menu?

What else?