aTbRef updated for v8.1.0

Just updated aTbRef for v8.1.0: A Tinderbox Reference File

See https://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref8/index/ChangeLog/v810b4063Jul2019.html. Mea culpa, used the wrong build number. Now fixed: v8.1.0b405 (3 Jul 2019)

3 Likes

Thanks for this terrific resource you’ve built!

Any chance to make it searchable from outside? I know one can download the tbx file, but think it would be very helpful to many (new) users if we could find a way to make your great work more present and accessible.

But it is searchable, each page has site search boxes at the bottom.

Note that the site is static HTML pages (as per Tinderbox export) rather than database-backed system so I’m using web search. At present the Google search is broken due to some undocumented change. The DuckDuckGo search does work.

In picking search terms note that the resource is a reference and not a how-to.

Hi Mark, of course it is :slight_smile:

What I had in mind was a more comfortable way to search. At the moment it’s e.g not possible to do a site search from ixquick on atbref. One has to visit the site, then do a search and in my experience most of the time get poor results (not because of the resource). That’s not what (speaking of me) a atbref and Tinderbox user would expect - and not what you’ve built deserves :slight_smile:

What if we start something to make it more present? Just an idea

Assuming ‘ixquick’ this is now ‘startpage.com’, you can do a scoped query (e.g. host:acrobatfaq.com/atbref8 +designator for designator-related articles. But the search results in only 5 matches, only one of which is actually in the targeted part of the web site and none of which are pertinent to the search term. So I guess startpage’s indexing is a bit flaky. The whole domain is not closed to robots so should be indexed by webcrawlers. But, I’m not a web tech.

I’m happy to add code to the web pages to aid search but I don’t have time to figure it out. If someone has a tested solution, by all means drop me a line. Note: atbref is all my effort, whilst Eastgate is helpful answering niche questions via other channels, the content is generated and hosted entirely by me as a resource I choose to stare with the Tinderbox community. Thus, there’s no dev ‘budget’ for search!

Hit the nail, that’s exactly what I thought of. Never done that, but what if we (as Tinderbox community) start something on Kickstarter.com (I don’t know what Kickstarter does, it’s just the first that came to my mind) or the like?

Maybe Tinderbox users are willing to spend to make A Tinderbox Reference File even more powerful?