Bold Not Working

What OS are people using. I’m on 10.14.6 and all works normally.

With shortcuts, always be are the issue_may_ be due to other apps (already opened before Tinderbox) which have ‘taken’ that assignment.

Did this just occur today, or might it be related to the most recent OS update?

Mark,

It’s definitely not a shortcut clash — cmd-b works with non-Tinderbox fonts, while even setting $NameBold manually fails with IdealSM etc.

It may be the OS: I’m on Big Sur 11.2.3.

I’ve a vague memory of this not working for some time, but as I always change built-in fonts to something else, I didn’t take much notice of it until this thread.

1 Like

been happening for a few weeks at least. I hadn’t paid too much attention as I was in a Tbox lull. But ramping up now and doing a ton of ingestion, and need my Bolds.

On Big Sur 11.2.1

Sounds like it’s a Big Sur issue involving specific fonts built into Tinderbox — Mercury and Ideal. Ringside, Sketchnote, and Tungsten operate as expected.

Does that conform to everyone’s experience?

No not quite.

Let’s say there are 3 ways of Bolding a selected text.
a) Cmd-B
b) right-click/Fonts/Bold
c) invoke the font pane Cmd-T and select desired font/variant.

Titles - whatever font I choose - using any of the above 3 methods - has NO effect on the visual appearance of any note.

Text - The behavior is not consistent. Therefore:
Mercury - doesn’t allow (a) or (b), allows ©
Ideal - doesn’t allow (a) or (b), allows ©
Ringside - doesn’t allow (a) or (b), allows ©
Sketchnote - allows (a), (b), and ©, but italic is grayed out for (b) and works fine for (a) and ©
Tungsten - doesn’t allow (a) or (b), allows © - here the italic is also grayed out on (b) - this is due to the font though - there is no italic font for Tungsten.

To confound things further - Italics behavior (using the same (a),(b),© methods) are also inconsistent, but in a different pattern from bold!

Test file emailed.

Mark,

Not quite: only Archer and Sketchnote Text seem to work. The others fail for me:

NB: assigning the bold-variant explicitly via cmd-t does work — it’s the cmd-b / toggle NameBold which fails.
HTH.

1 Like

@brookter - seems in line with what I’m seeing, haven’t gone through all the fonts in Tinderbox yet, but will. Also - are you able to change fonts in the title in map view and have the text change appearance? I can’t.

Point to note that this behavior is mostly only present in Tinderbox - for example, in Apple Numbers I can easily use methods (a) and (b) to change between variants, and in fact if I hit Cmd-B or Cmd-I, the font pane reflects that it has switched the font to the variant (this behavior used to be inconsistent in the old old days of working with fonts).

EXCEPTION - Tungsten and Sketchnote are 2 fonts with limited variants - you cannot see Tungsten in italic, and you cannot see Sketchnote in Bold-Italic.

In the below grid, i was able to switch between these fonts using Cmd-B and Cmd-I, so (except for Tungsten and Sketchnote) these fonts are behaving as all other fonts do.

(sorry for the multiple edits to posts. No coffee today)

I was on 11.2.1 and updated to 11.2.3 and both are, as we say, a bit timid.

1 Like

This is what I get in a $Text field:

I’ve not tried it with Italic yet.

Sorry @brookter - to be more specific, I’m wondering if the actual appearance of the Note Title in Map view changes when you select the entire title and change the font to any other font? Thank you.

Here’s the Map view of the screenshot I posted earlier — as you can see, the FontNames and emboldening are the same as in Outline mode. (That’s to be expected, I think, as it’s the same attribute governing both.)

Of course, they all have $NameBold set to true, so they should all be in bold — not just the ones with Bold in the title, which were set explicitly with cmd-T. (Exceptions are Archer and Sketch Note - they work correctly as we’ve said.)

HTH.

1 Like

OK well that’s perplexing. No matter what, I can’t get my note titles to change font from Ringside.

Are you changing the font in the font pane (Cmd-T) or using $NameFont? I can’t do it using either. In the Document Inspector, the choice of font is grayed out and set at Ringside.

If you double click on $NameFont in the DisplayedAttributes pane (i.e. not in the Inspector), it brings up the cmd-t font dialogue. From then on you can change any note’s NameFont simply by clicking on the font in the cmd-t dialogue. $NameFont then reflects your click.

This is easier than using the Inspector, because that uses a condensed version of the name and you have to guess what it will be (usually it just omits the spaces, but it’s still easier to click on the cmd-t dialogue…)

A BUNCH of you are reporting issues with the backstage release in the wrong forum. Please don’t do that.

Ah OK Bingo!!! Thanks, that works perfectly :grinning:

Of course, it does seem that something weird and inconsistent is going on - I should be able to change fonts without needing to do so via the DisplayedAttributes pane. And the issue with bolding specific text within the Note cannot be addressed this way, so that remains an open “can’t do” for me right now.

Anyway. I’m sure far superior minds to mine have already got their hooks into this; so for now, I’ll make a QuickStamp to add $NameFont as a Key Attribute, at least until this is resolved.

Mark – don’t know about anybody else, but I don’t have access to the Backstage release.

The problems I’m relating are on the release version (8.9.2 b496).

Sorry @eastgate - I just replied to the OP and neglected to observe it was in the Getting Started Forum. Apologies.

I’m experiencing this issue in Version 8.9.1 (b486), as mentioned in the original posting, and I updated to Version 8.9.2 (b496) to see if that made a difference and it didn’t. I haven’t tested or tried this on the backstage release.

Again — and I’m going to lock this thread shortly — the reported problem appears:

• Only when using Big Sur
  • Only when using a few fonts packaged with Tinderbox, notably Ideal and Mercury.

Now that — after several hours — we have know where we are, Eastgate can address the problem, and everyone can use any other fonts.

2 Likes