Can TB remember the width of my 'View and Text' text panel?

Hello, all. Just a small issue, but a nagging one…

When working in Map view, I find it useful to occasionally hide the Text panel and just see the Map notes. So, I hit Cmd-6 for ‘View Only’, do what I need to do, then hit Cmd-5 for ‘View and Text’. However… the Text box always takes up half the screen width when it returns, and I have to reduce it every time (I’m on a 13" MacBook, and half-width is too much).

Is there any way for TB to remember the dimensions of the Text panel?

Look at $TextPaneRatio and $TextPaneWidth. That said, when you toggle back to split screen, i assume the ratio set is either that of the currently selected note or if no selection the map’s parent container. Either/both of these may have the default settings.

These attributes were added in v6.0.0 but I’m unclear if they are still used as moving the splitter bar doesn’t affect the attributes and setting the latter has no effect. Not sure if this functionality was abandoned or there is a bug. I’ll report it.

Thank you, @mwra! I can’t check those attributes tonight, but will certainly do so tomorrow morning. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I’ve also reported (via other channels) the inconsistencies above.

O, I need to update my aTbRef notes, but the old v6-era attribute controls were superseded by the splitter position (pane ratio) being stored as a property of the tab, which each tab supporting a separate splitter position. The problem is the Cmd+5 resets the default 50:50 split and in doing so overwrites the stored split value.

So, for now there’s no fix to the OP’s problem, but I suspect there will be ere long as I think the above behaviour is simply an unexpected by-product in the change in the way the splitter position is stored.

So, although you will see $TextPaneRatio and $TextPaneWidth as system attributes in your TBXs, as at Tinderbox v8+ they have no functional purpose and setting them will have no effect. I’m at a conference but will update aTbRef notes to reflect this when I get a moment.

Not a solution, but I hope that at least clarifies the status quo.

I make extensive use of separate $TEXT windows and I find that Tinderbox is erratic in what about them it preserves between uses of cmd-opt-x and launches. Since I have relatively few positions/sizes I’d like them to assume, I use Moom from manytricks.com to move them where I want using a few custom settings. It piggybacks onto the green “traffic light” zoom control on the window and works well. It is also very reasonably priced and well supported.

Could you unpack that a bit? Is it the positioning of the window or something else? Have you reported these issues to support—I ask as the open-ended nature of the app is you are using a configuration other users may not have encountered (or reported).

I think your suggestion of tools like Moom makes sense for those whose have precise requirements of the layout of a multi-window usage. The general paradigm is currently for a single-window app, users having complained that the pre-v6 many-window design was old fashioned. Since then, as the new v6+ app UI has matured it now offers multiple document views, session-only tear-off windows and stand-alone text windows.

That does clarify things, @mwra — thanks again for your time on this.

1 Like

OK, I have updated my notes on $TextPaneRatio, $TextPaneWidth and the Document Window note to reflect the above changes.

I often use Tinderbox with a main window containing several tabs and two or three separate text windows that I open with cmd-opt-x. The state of these separate text windows consists at least in two things: 1) whether they exist as windows; and 2) their location and dimensions. The second of these sometimes is not preserved between closing the window and re-opening it. The first of these is not reliably preserved between launches.

I do not know if these are bugs because I do not know what the expected functionality is. I’ve not reported it because in practice it doesn’t bother me very much since I have used Moom.

The use cases are at least three. First, I sometimes like to work with windows side by side and in such cases tiled positions for windows are important. Second, I like to work with these windows with a window from another application visible–again size and position are important. Third, I will sometimes have a note or two open to which I am adding while reviewing my notes in the main window. Preserving the existence of separate text windows is an aid to continuity between launches.

I believe this does occur-stand-alone note text windows do persist between app session (i.e. when the doc is closed and opened again). I can’t test now, but I presume the issue is the screen position of the secondary text windows is not retained. If I close/re-open a doc with multiple windows they go back to the screen(s) positions they were in.