$Created time of copied notes

Hi all,

If I copy and paste a note, the newly created note will have its $Created attribute set to the creation time of the old note. It seems to me that $Created should indicate when this note was created. Do other folks agree?

This issue has already been noted and addressed (being tested in beta). I would presume that fix will be in the next public release, which will mean that for a pasted copy $Created and $Modified will now be set to the creation time of the copy.

3 Likes

I tried drag and drop a note to another TBX. But the created was not retained.
I wish this feature very much. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Because I need sort notes by created or modification dates very often.

I can’t re-create your issue.

I just took a pair of notes both created on 29 August 2022 and copy/pasted one and drag-dropped the other into a new Tinderbox document. In both cases $Created and $Modified for their ‘new’ notes show as 31 August 2022 (which is today as I write this).

As you get a different result it suggests there may be extra aspects to your scenario that aren’t described. Could you be so kind as to list the steps, as a set of instructions, that will allow others here to repeat your process and hopefully replicate your error? :)</>

I misunderstood the question—sorry! A suitable answer to the actual question is already given in the next post below.

When you drag a note into a new Tinderbox document, are you making a new note, or not? This is a tricky question!

What I’d do in this case is add a rule in the first document that does something like this:

$OriginalDate|=$Created;

where OriginalDate is a user attribute of type Date. You can then sort on OriginalDate.

When the number of notes is small, you can manually change the date of note creation in the TBX-file:

<item ID="1661405747" Creator="Data" >
<attribute name="Associates" ></attribute>
<attribute name="Created" >2022-08-22T10:47:16+03:00</attribute>
<attribute name="IsComposite" >false</attribute>
<attribute name="MapBackgroundFillOpacity" >0.09608402848</attribute>
<attribute name="MapScrollX" >15.96875</attribute>
<attribute name="MapScrollY" >5.8125</attribute>
<attribute name="Modified" >2022-08-22T10:47:16+03:00</attribute>
<attribute name="Name" >testDateCreated</attribute>
<attribute name="Xpos" >0</attribute>
<attribute name="Ypos" >0</attribute>

by writing the true date of note creation (see line 3 in the code),