Find - checking my understanding of what the find context means

A minor point of clarification. In the excellent description of Find in aTBRef there is a reference to the context of the find query, to whit

Found items are grouped to show items in current context

What was not clear to me for some time was what the current context is. My interpretation - for checking - is that it is based on the current view container and includes all subcontainers irrespective of whether they are visible or not. For example to find the note with name “N8” in the following case:

I get

because there is a note with the name N8 in the container N7. There also happens to be a second note with the name N8 somewhere else in the hierarchy as seen in other results.

I think that is a correct interpretation. By default all view types are scoped at root level (or whole document scope for report-type views like Attribute Browser view and Crosstabs view).

In your illustration the top N8 listed in the find is in the current view. The fact that you choose to have the N7 container holding it to be collapsed in the outline is why it is in view but not seen on screen.

The second item is not viewable in the current view without changing the view (i.e. the context of the doc windows’s left pane).

Perhaps my notes would be better worded as:

Found items are grouped. The first grouping shows items within context of the current tab’s view. such items my not necessarily be seen within the current view area, e.g. off the edge of a current Map or inside a collapsed container in a current Outline, etc. The second group lists all other matches that cannot be seen in the view pane without changing the context of the current view, i.e. setting its scope differently from the current settings.

I’ve updated the notes on the Find dialog (pop-up and torn-off) to use this text, re the above:

Found items are grouped into two groups. The first grouping shows items within context of the current tab’s view. Such items my not necessarily immediately be seen within the current view area, e.g. because they are outside the display part of a current Map or inside a collapsed container within a current Outline, etc. The second group lists all other matches that cannot be seen in the view pane without changing the context of the current view, i.e. setting its scope differently from the current settings.

Doubtless it can be improved but I think it it better than what was there until just now.

Agreed - thanks for clarifying. Note small typo:

Such items might not necessarily…

Ah yes. <sigh>. Will fix.

[Edit] Done! (all 3 pages)