Tinderbox Forum

How do I invoke the extra ziplinks configuration syntax?

I have just started to play around with Ziplinks, but their utility is clearly amazing for all of us using Tinderbox for scientific knowledge management (read: zettlekästen on an entirely new level, with TBs amazing abilities). I love the functionality of “|” to be able to name the new linked note at the same time as assigning a link in the original note that is short and fits in the text description there. I also love the ease with which Tinderbox allow me to select existing notes to link to as I write the ziplink, but have not figured out how to use the “|”-functionality when linking to existing notes too. This would be very useful. Can anyone help me with this?

I’m still trying to document the nuances of the simple-yet-complex feature. Essentially, if you type [[, and optionally some characters for matching, then select a note title from the pop-up list, the link auto-completes for you.

To use the larger syntax with optional anchor text and/or target $Text, it seems the safe way—i.e. not invoking premature auto-complete of the link— is to manually type the name(or path) of the matched note without using the pop-up list, then the extra anchor/$Text and then close the input with ]]. the latter tells Tinderbox you are done and it then makes the link.

Exact process, given all the options in this very new feature, is still being figured out. Ziplinks have effectively subsumed the older quicklinks. Two different outcomes (just a link vs. a link with extra configuration elements) are running off the same trigger.

2 Likes

Thanks Mark! That makes sense, but is not optimal for the version of knowledge management I use TB for, where the names of notes are descriptive and relatively long to summarise their main contents. TB is definitely the best tool for this anyway, and the new ziplinks really helpful, but if there was a way to select note titles from the popup list and still “rename” the link visible in the original note with ease (as when using “|” when creating a new linked note) it would be a dream.

I am still a bit of a newbie, and only using a fraction of the functionalities of TB, but it is already a way more powerful tool for scientific knowledge management (and any version of zettlekästen) than anything that I have found (and I have looked very hard for rather long). Sincere thanks to Eastgate and to you and the other gurus helping us less experienced to harness the powers of this amazing software!

OK, this is a user forum; I’m a fellow user. We can’t change the app here.

If you feel ziplinks should work a different way that as at present, please email tech support (support info@eastgate.com) explaining why the feature fails you and how you suggest it might work better.

Separately,

You can do this but I think when you get further into use you’ll see this is a rod for your own back. I can see long names as an initial capture mechanism. But, long names:

• don’t fit in the available display space in most views.
  • often include characters (semi-colon, parentheses, straight (double) quote, etc.) that ‘break’ query parsing (find() uses queries the same way as agents do).
  • make for difficult searching

If the only way you can initially capture information is to write a long title ($Name), I suggest developing a workflow where you review those names and parse the metadata out into $Tags or other attributes. Your future self will thank you for embracing metadata. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:blush: Yes, of course. Thanks for the suggestion to contact Eastgate about my “issue”, although I feel a bit like a spoiled brat to ask for more from an already amazing tool.

Thanks also for the other note/warning! It might be better to rethink my “system” now, so I don’t get stuck in an unsustainable workflow later… I have much to learn…

An alternative — not completely seamless, but not that bad, is to make the zip link using the suggestions menu

. [[1 ➛ [[1,8 dimethyl-cyclooctatetraene]]

and then select the newly link text and type the link anchor:

DMT

But I agree with Mark Anderson; it helps to keep note names concise if you can.

2 Likes