How do PDFs from Devonthink actually work in TB?

When I drag a PDF file from DT3 into TBX, it creates a note with, I presume, the entire file embedded in it. The note has several metadata imported as well, such as the x-devonthink-item:// link and timestamps, etc, and you can see the first page of the PDF.

But how do I read the PDF beyond the first page? If this isn’t possible, what’s the logic behind importing the entire file? Or is it just the first page that’s imported?

Thanks,
Beck

Olá Beck:

A few questions … no answers:

• are you saving the PDF in TB as a store of record?
  • are you presuming that a local copy of your PDF document will amplify the capabilities of TB? If so how?

in my workflow I would store the item link into TB and open the content in DT - reader and PDF search provided outside of TB

-mark

Olá Mark,

The PDF is saved in DT3 as a store of record and that’s where I read and annotate it. I would prefer the PDF was not included, but I don’t think that’s possible. I do like that the first page shows, though, which is why I don’t just create a note and link it. Here’s the use case today, but there are many such cases in my work:

I’m writing a paper about a qualitative research study and am listing what I will do to establish trustworthiness. This includes several concepts such as thick descriptions and member checking and peer auditing. I have created a map of trustworthiness and it links to notes for each of the phrases above. I would like to have those notes drill down into a map of papers. So that clicking on thick description would show me a bunch of papers that directly mention and support it. In the TB notes for each paper, I’ll list direct quotes.

I can do this with notes for sure, and from some perspectives that would be best (drag the reference from Bookends, for example). But where I am right now, I want the visual potential of a bunch of papers scattered across a map to jog my memory and help the literature stand out in my mind.

Beck

Paul, I’m not watching a folder. Does this still answer apply to my question in a way I’m misunderstanding?

We’re fouling up the pdf handling here and importing an image. Should be fixed shortly.

TBH, this is a fine solution for my purposes.

But good to know. I’ll also be curious to see what the feature looks like when un-fouled up.

It’ll work as dragging pdf files from the Finder into Tinderbox currently works.

Just did this, interesting. It seems like the thing I want to have happen is actually the fouled up function. :upside_down_face: