How to keep consistent columns between Outline and Attribute Browser views

I’m taking the trial version of Tinderbox out for a spin, and stumbling on a few UI issues. One notable one is when I’m switching between the Outline view and the amazing Attribute Browser. I wonder if the behavior I’m seeing is intentional, and a symptom of me not knowing the software well, but at this level I can’t tell.

The following steps are illustrated in the attached animated GIF.

1. In Outline view, I see my list of notes as expected.
  2. I then switch to the Attribute Browser, where I have the same notes organized by “Authors”… so far so good.
  3. Switching back to the Outline view, and now there are two columns showing the note names: the first is the default title-less column, and the second is a column explicitly set to “Name”. (To be clear, I only ever want to see the note names in one column, not duplicated.)

No amount of different combinations of removing/adding the “Name” column from either view makes me able to quickly switch back and forth between Outline/AB and get my expected list of notes with a single “Name” column. Any help?

tinderbox-columns

That’s very unusual. Your GIF shows you using the tutorial.tbx file. What about your own file? Do you see a problem there?

Try opening a tab for the outline view and a different tab for the attribute browser. That will let you switch more cleanly – especially since the attribute browser has lots of additional settings you might use.

@PaulWalters Even though the filename is “tutorial.tbx”, it’s actually my own file. But, regardless, your point still holds: is this repeatable across other files? Yes, it is (for me). But, Eastgate’s suggestion helps a lot.

Importantly, it looks like this issue only pops up when I have the “Use Columns” view option checked on. When that’s not on, the behavior switching between the two views is as expected.

@eastgate Yes, thank you! Having one tab per view solves this annoyance and lets me keep “Use Columns” option either on/off independently between tabs.

But, this leads to a different (smaller) annoyance… I’m a keyboard-shortcut fan… I can easily swap between tabs, but whenever I swap to the Attribute Browser, it seems the list of notes does not have focus so arrow-up and arrow-down do nothing. Is there a way to focus into the note list via keyboard?

Option-Tab switches between panes in a view. E.g., from Text to outline. When you option-tab into the outline the pane’s background momentarily has a shadow effect. Press up / down arrows, etc., to navigate once you’re in the outline

Thanks, that totally works in the Outline view, but doesn’t seem to do anything in the Attribute Browser… It’s as if nothing has focus when I switch to the AB.

Confirm, Opt+Tab doesn’t seem to work in AB view. It sort of works, but not properly, I’ll report this.

[edit]

Done - reported.