import a text ( markdown) file and am expecting to break it into multiple note , one per line , paragraphe

Hello I am a new user of tinderbox. I need to import a text ( markdown) file and am expecting to break it into multiple note , one per line , paragraphe.
I have tried drag and drop or file import but I still end up with one note. I then tried explose on this one , but the content of the notes is not filled ( and the title truncated). Any hint appreciated

Explode is the feature you need. Can you give a bit more detail, or upload a Tinderbox file that shows the problem?

In parallel to @mwra’s reply, be aware that Tinderbox can explode imported files created using certain formats (OPML, tab-delimited, comma-delimited) into multiple notes. See more about importing here. When importing, Tinderbox does not split files into notes at paragraph breaks in the imported text.

Import markdown to scrivener then import scrivener to Tbx. Hierarchical importing is brought up more than any other importing topic, I don’t understand why hierarchical importing is not supported more generally in Tbx. It seems anything hierarchal is not a friendly discussion around here.

thanks alvin . from what I read elsewhere, I need to go via scriv V2 format still , right ?
I tried Dropping a scriv V3 on tinderbox icon, I got the structure right but no notes content.
( v2 gives me the right content) .

(just to make sure I am current with whats going on, as this post is date 2017 : Scrivener 3 and Tinderbox 7.x)

@mwra : thanks for your suport . here is the general idea, for your information. All comments welcomed

• i take my note on the fly with drafts5 (ios or mac) ( or from Just PressRedcord on the watch)

• later I form them into proper zettelkastenoten ( using mainly the sublime extension)

• which are md file
  • I later assemble /expand many zettel into an outline. this is still an Md file ( with level 1, 2, 3, titles, or just indented lists)

• at this point I intend to import it into tinderbox to filddle the structure of the outline

why : (because I intent to reform the “linear discourse”, into a “minto style” BLUF one. I maintain the three structure in parralel ( with links) :

• the linear discours ( causal, ( or random :wink: ),
  • the minto, BLUF one,
  • and a concept map

If there is too much acronyms, let me know, I’ll throw URL.

Interesting perception. Readers here discuss hierarchies all the time – it’s a basic idea. FWIW, the concepts of “importing markdown”, “exploding notes”, and “hierarchy” while not mutually exclusive, are also not the same thing.

I don’t know that this solves your need, @Luctaesch, but there’s another direction you might explore. Tinderbox has a very basic interpretation of hierarchy (parent/child relationship) for data pasted into an outlines: tabs represent levels. The images below show what happens when an “outline” of sources created in TextEdit, with one, two or three tab indents, is copied and then pasted into Tinderbox 7 (second image).

The original in TextEdit

Screenshot%20of%20TextEdit%20(3-10-19%2C%207-56-53%20AM)

The result of copy then paste into Tinderbox 7

The first note, imported outline, is created automatically and indicates Tinderbox is sensing an outline on the clipboard. The outline is placed inside this parent so that the pasting action does not inadvertently cause issues in your document. There is a limitation: Tinderbox cannot sense in a pasted outline the difference between $Name and $Text.

2 Likes

I think that’s a rather unkind and, more importantly, an incorrect description of the nature of discussions here.

An issue that does occur is people, who simply assume that Tinderbox will operate just like [some other app] they know much better, mainly because what they know and understand is [some other app]. It can sometimes take a few exchanges of post before they realise their assumptions about Tinderbox do not reflect the reality of how it works.

This is a user to user forum. We, as fellow users, don’t control the design of the app. Tinderbox has evolved over 18 years to support its surprisingly varied base of users. Your fellow users here likely don’t don’t have your workflow therefore don’t understand unstated assumptions in what you’re trying to do.
This is why, in genuine good faith, we often suggest to people that they make a feature request. That doesn’t mean your fellow users oppose an idea, but rather that need is not our need (people use Tinderbox many different ways). Thus the best person to describe a new feature need is the person with that need.

I’m unclear how a thread, correctly answered within 2 minutes of the original request, re importing text is somehow a critique of ‘hierarchical import’. Indeed, the latter term is one for which I can’t find a formal definition so it’s unsurprising if there isn’t a single uniform method for dealing with such things.

1 Like

Thanks @mwra.

Because I can, I happen to own probably every “outliner” app for Mac (and many for Windows or the web) known to exist. Because I like to fiddle with how to get data from A to B. (Strange hobby, right?) Three conclusions.

1. “Standards” (there is no standards organization for these things) such as OPML, csv, tsv, markdown, are not standard. Each developer does their own thing – sometimes with obscure and subtle tweaks based on, of all things, Unicode. One can never rely on “it works this way here, so it must work the same way there”.
  2. Except for very simple documents, there is no 100% transportability between apps that preserves formatting, relationships between lines / paragraphs, etc.
  3. Next to pen and paper, plain text (not even markdown’s so-called “plain text”) is the most reliable tool
2 Likes

That is correct…Scriv2 final export should be the final step in the workflow. There is no other alternative, at least that I’m aware of, when importing and preserving markdowns’ original markup. OPML, Tab indented text documents is no solution for what someone using markdown is trying to achieve. Not much affection for markdown either…LEt me know if you have any other questions.

1 Like