Import bullet point list as notes

Before I write an agent, I wonder if there are some tips to easily import a list of items as one note per line?

So let’s say I have a list in an email or text document.

• first item
  • second item
  • third item

Now when I copy that list and paste it into Tinderbox, then I would get the list in one note.
How can I get three notes (one for each line)?

I am sure that was discussed before but I could not succeed finding it somewhere in the forum. Thanks in advance.

One method is to import and explode the text If you’ve pasted in rich text, you’ve probably got the bullet symbol (• opt+8) at the start of the bullet. Mage the bullet the delimiter and slip on that. There is, of course, some clear-up but you should get pretty clean notes out of it.

Here’s a walk-through of that process: http://shoantel.clarify-it.com/d/2tze4d

Thanks a lot. Exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like

I have wanted to do that since I started TBX but did not know how to ask. Thanks Christian and Mark A.

1 Like

I am dictating lengthy text and would like to organize it using TBX.

It appears that the explosion of bullet points, each bullet point line becomes the name of a note. Is there a way to explode both the name of the note and the text content of the note?

The source text would look like and I would like to differentiate between the name of the note and the content of the note.

• Will become the name of note 1.
    Content for note 1 will explode into the text window of note 1.

• Will become the name of note 2.
    Content for note 2 will explode into the text window of note 2.

• Will become the name of note 3.
    Content for notes 3 will explode into the text window of note 3.

If I understand correctly you want the first note to be:

Note title: Will become the name of note 1.
Note text: Content for note 1 will explode into the text window of note 1.

If so, then this is already possible. As explained in the link I originally posted (again: here) the Explode dialog has a tick-box ‘Remove title from text’ which works thus:

If selected the text used for the above choice of title is deleted from the new note’s body text

In your example http://shoantel.clarify-it.com/d/2tze4d “Let’s say I have a list…” is your title.

It is “removed” from "Item 1, items 2 … "

In your outline view, it appears that “Let’s say that …” has the same status as " item 1, item 2…"

It looks to me like the previous title and each item are the names of notes. They are not seen in the text window of the note. (The example doesn’t have a map view.) That’s not what I want. I want to be able to specify the name of a note and also to be able to specify the text content that belongs to that note.

In a linear standard outline, they would be like the title of the section or the heading of a section.

Because I’m organizing verbose notes with short titles describing them, I really need be notes to appear in the text window, and not in the very short title of the note.

Best,
Ellen

A post was split to a new topic: Structuring dictated note for import