Left/right scroll in outline view with columns

(Bruno Moreira) #1

I am viewing a lot of Key Attributes as columns in an outline view, which makes most of them out of view. Trying to scroll left / right to see them but it seems its not possible … am I missing something? Thanks.

(Mark Anderson) #2

Currently, this isn’t possible. you can drag the view pane wider to show more view - if you have a big screen.

I use column view a lot and have found it’s best to limit oneself to a few columns but i change the column assignments regularly. Click on an existing column to change the attributer assigned to that column.

Column view is really useful when working through a set of notes and checking that certain attributes haven’t been left blank or you aren’t applying inconsistent values.

Edit: it is probably adding that whilst column view looks like a spreadsheet, I don’t think that’s the design concept and thus the lack of horizontal scrolling.

(eastgate) #3

We’ll take a look at horizontal scrolling for the future. I’d not anticipated wanting that many columns of attributes.

(Bruno Moreira) #4

Thanks!
Well … that’s precisely what I was thinking of. A spreadsheet view! It seems almost everything is in place :slight_smile:
Of course, I can CMD COPY all contents from the outline view with columns into Numbers (it just doesn’t handle outline levels and column names) but that creates a dated snapshot of my data, and I’d like to keep it live for as long as possible!

(Niran Sabanathan) #5

Would it be possible to also have “cells” fill vertically, rather than truncate at a certain length ?

(eastgate) #6

That might be a performance problem, since it would multiply the work of needed to lay out the outline by the number of columns. But we’ll take a look.

Horizontal scrolling of columns is coming, though.