Meet-up thread updated

2022 Meet-up logs/threads (see thread *first* post) updated for April 10 & 17 meet-ups. Enjoy!

The global village means no one time suits all, but if you can make the meets, do. New Tinderbox friends always welcome.

2 Likes

Thanks for the rapid upload of yesterday’s (2021-04-17) meetup!!
For those who find the resolution small (it comes in at 1/2-size on my laptop monitor) - simply pinch and zoom the image.

Dear Mark, dear all,
I am probably one of the many who watch the vimeo-uploaded discussions after they happen.
On the 3rd of April, Mark presented the new markdown features.
I found that very interesting and I wonder if the multmarkdown is something worth considering, especially with regard to the footnote issue discussed at that time, but also with regard to simple tables.
Do also other people consider Fletcher Penney’s Composer (version 5 to come out soon) something potentially complementing TB9 nicely?
Thank you for your time,
Adrian

There’s a significant cost associated with each variant of Markdown that’s built into Tinderbox. MultiMarkdown is possible, but do we want to support three different dialects?

Maybe.

In the meantime, it’s easy to install MultiMarkdown and use it from Tinderbox through the previewCommand.

Hi @adrian, @eastgate is right about this. I have a killer YouTube training ready to share that shows how you can do just this using both the markdown that TBX 9 is adopting and Pandoc. I’ll release the video when TBX 9 releases.

@Bernard-0 and I have figured out (mostly @Bernard-0) so effective ways to managing footnotes with Pandoc. Works great. Last night I covered over 200 citations and footnotes in my thesis using the new markdown approaches that will be available in TBX 9. Can’t say much more until it is released.

Perhaps, but I don’t see how. After playing with 4 a bit it looks like TBX 9 will support most of the primary features in Composer.

1 Like

I have used markdown footnotes in Tbx since version 6 or 7. I actually learned about it reading the forum and there is nothing to it really. Just change the HTMLPreviewCommand to MMD ('/opt/homebrew/Cellar/multimarkdown/6.6.0/bin/multimarkdown') or Pandoc (/usr/local/bin/pandoc -f markdown -t html) and you’re set. When it comes to bibliographic support, this is very MMD is very easy to set up, but very limited in what it can do. Pandoc is just the opposite: very flexible, but a bit more tricky to setup.

What may be causing some confusion is the fact that Tbx has a feature called Footnote which is nothing more than a linked note with a special linkType. I was asking Mark @eastgate about exporting these linked notes as actual MD footnotes, but this is more complex than it sounds and its not likely to work anytime soon. (Although, as I stop to think about this now, I think I see a way to make this work with Applescript, which I never tried… :thinking:)

Where are you seeing this?

2 Likes

Hey, this is a perfect example of the rich history of Tinderbox, and the wonderful evolution. I see from this post that Markdown has been supported since 2017 Markdown - Footnotes - MultiMarkdown - #23 by maksim. Pretty exciting to think how rich this forum is, thanks to everyone. I’m am grateful for you all.

1 Like

In fairness, that’s because it long predates HTML shorthand methods like Markdown. Indeed, Tinderbox was created in 2000/01 when AJAX was still a new thing on the web.

Within a hypertext, e.g. a TBX, the footnotes function as advertised.

Publishing footnotes is a different matter. Until recently, I don’t think many (any?) where writing complete formats like a thesis or academic paper completely within Tinderbox. Though Markdown was first created in 2004, it was very niche until recently. Indeed, I think part of the reason people originally wanted to export ‘raw’ Markdown was because not many apps could render (into HTML) Markdown code. It is only since then that annotations systems have originated with or adopted Markdown as an internal formatting method. I assume that it is probably cheaper/easier to implement than RTF → HTML, for instance.

All of which means, the issue is less one of omission, than evolution. given how export works, exporting footnotes mean allowing for note-to-HTML-page footnotes, chapter end notes or paper/thesis style reference lists as endpapers. In turn that means thinking how the in-Text link anchor is styled (requirements differ).

That said, I too would like to be able to the export—whether via Markdown or other shorthand means— to (styled) HTML. The nature of the task means however that this niche feature may require some built-in operators if linking it to work with page includes.

2 Likes