Tinderbox Forum

New v8 Scripting features

(RobTrew) #1

Admin note: split this to a new thread given divergence from original topic. Move is no relfection on the content itself - which is most interesting!

And of course, with JavaScript …

What seems to be the best route to listing the children of a note through the new osascript API ?

(my first thought is the read the childCount and ID attributes, as below, but I may well be missing something simpler)

-- noteChildren :: Note -> [Note]
on noteChildren(x)
    using terms from application "Tinderbox 8"
        if 0 < value of attribute "childCount" of x then
            set v to child of x
            set strID to value of attribute "ID" of v
            set lastID to value of attribute "ID" of lastChild of x

set xs to {v}
            repeat while lastID ≠ strID
                set v to nextSibling of v
                set strID to value of attribute "ID" of v
                set end of xs to v
            end repeat
            return xs
        else
            {}
        end if
    end using terms from
end noteChildren

Tinderbox 8 is available now
(RobTrew) #3

Forgive me – I was being unclear, I was thinking not of GUI interactions (selection is indeed there, as a property of windows) but of scripted traversals of a sub-tree, given a particular note.

(eastgate) #4

I’m not entirely sure why you’d want to traverse the tree in a script, when it’s so much faster to do it inside Tinderbox. Yet not doubt there are reasons!

Note that children gives you a list of immediate descendants; that should make preorder and postorder traversals straightforward.

If people need to do this often, we could expose the next and sentinel properties of each note.

(RobTrew) #5

Note that children gives you a list of immediate descendants

Curiously enough there’s no mention of a children method in the dictionary, and as far as I can see note objects don’t respond to an attempt to call a method of that name.

The only immediately visible methods for child access seem to be child , nextSibling and lastSibling (in the style of an XML interface), so for the moment I’m having to build a slowish chain of nextSibling links.

(Re your other question, traversals etc allow me to generate nested diagrams from my outlines in graphics packages, I use a hub Tree structure, and I have various toTree and fromTree translators in different languages and for different apps)

(RobTrew) #6

Ah ! got it.

There is indeed something analogous to a children method, which I had failed to discern in the dictionary.

In Applescript if we have bound the the name oNote to a parent node, we can obtain all its children, at the cost of just one apple event, by writing notes of oNote.

In JS, we obtain them with dot method syntax: oNote.notes()

This means that the whole outline (or the sub-tree beneath a selected node) can be read into a generic Tree structure in JS with:

// pureTreeTBX :: Note  -> Tree Note
const pureTreeTBX = note => {
    const go = x =>
        Node(x, x.notes().map(go));
    return go(note);
};

and in AppleScript with:

-- pureTreeTBX :: Note -> Tree Note
on pureTreeTBX(oNote)
    using terms from application "Tinderbox 8"
        script go
            on |λ|(x)
                Node(x, my map(go, notes of x))
            end |λ|
        end script
        |λ|(oNote) of go
    end using terms from
end pureTreeTBX

(eastgate) #7

Sorry! One hazard of being the developer is that I sometimes remember earlier versions of the software.

The property notes returns the immediate children of a note.