Prototype templates do not show up in the Template drop-down

(Galen Menzel) #1

Hi all!

If a note is defined to be a Template (i.e., $IsTemplate is set to true), then that note will show up in the Template drop-down menu in the Export tab of the HTML inspector.

However, if a note is defined to be both a Template and a Prototype (i.e., $IsTemplate and $IsPrototype are both set to true), then the note does not show up in the Template drop-down menu.

Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks!

(Mark Anderson) #2

I suspect this was an unexpected scenario. Whilst incremental formalisation means any note may be made into a prototype, I suspect this combination of prototype-and-template wasn’t envisaged. I’d note that for the first part of Tinderbox’s life templates were external files (and thus couldn’t be templates) and this may still affect some internal logic: of course, now templates are only notes in the current document. Mark B is travelling at present but I’m sure can provide a more authoritative answer in due course.

Meanwhile, if using the built-in HTML template prototype, templates really only differ in their $Text. A prototype’s $Text is only inherited once - at prototype assignment. Furthermore, if a (new) prototype is assigned after the template’s $Text has been edited the that attribute is no longer inherited as it already has a local value.

I’d propose that it makes good sense not to plan to make template prototypes as well. If you need several different prototype-based template setting (e.g. HTML vs Markdown ones), I’d suggest having multiple prototypes, one for each use case and then making templates use the appropriate prototype. If those prototypes have $Text you want inherited, then you may wish to removes the /Templates container’s OnAdd so you can choose the appropriate prototype rather than have the action auto-assign 'HTML Template", and thus setting $Text such that a change of prototype won’t insert new default $Text (as might be desired).

If I’ve misunderstood the underlying problem, please ask, as I’m interested to understand why one might need a template/prototype as opposed to making one simply because it seemed sensible and possible to do (i.e. no one said “don’t”!).

(Paul Walters) #3

The case is built into 7.2.1.

(eastgate) #4

Despite Tinderbox’s embrace of prototype inheritance, most prototypes represent empty classes of things. For example, the HTML Template prototype sets up a number of attributes and text format settings that are nice for templates, but it is itself an empty template and not very useful as a template.

I agree this is a bit of an odd corner case, but it’s likely more useful to more people as it is.

(Galen Menzel) #5

So it is the intended behavior that template prototypes do not show up in the template drop-down, yes? The idea being that there may well be template-prototype notes in the document, but it is unlikely that they will actually be used as templates themselves?

(eastgate) #6

That’s the current assumption – I believe deriving from a user’s observation that their prototype template was distracting when it appeared in a menu.

(Galen Menzel) #7

Seems like the right choice.

(Mark Anderson) #8

I’ve now clarified in several other pertinent places in aTbRef, that templates which are also prototypes are not listed in the Template pop-up menu.