Quick-stamp resetting $KeyAttributes

(Andreas Grimm) #1

We know that option + cmd+ i brings up the “Get info …” pane where in the first column we chose “attributes” and in the second column we search for “KeyAttributes” --> to be displayed in the third column. There we right-click on “KeyAttributes” and then click on “Use Inherited Value”. Works well.

###Question:
Which code to use for either quick-stamping this “use inherited value” or even more desirable: creating a rule for having this “use inherited value”-reset done automatically (for instance: when applying a prototype with specific KeyAttributes to a note brought in from Devonthink that shows different KeyAttributes).

Well?

(Paul Walters) #2

I’m sure if you can do exactly that, but a stamp can set KAs to be the same as KAs for a specific note:

$KeyAttributes=;$KeyAttributes=$KeyAttributes(/Prototypes/MyPrototype);

(Mark Anderson) #3

As in the first part of the answer immediately above, the ‘reset’ is handled by setting the $KeyAttributes attribute:

$KeyAttributes=;

To clarify, the actual action is to set no value, i.e.

$KeyAttributes=

But even if there is no following action, people tend to add a semi-colon regardless as in the first example. Both actions do the same, but the former makes it clear that this is the intent and not just a part completed action.

For quick-stamp, there is a button to reset inheritance - see here.

I’d suggest a rule is sub-optimal for this task as it only needs doing once, better would be to use an edict for automating this. Or, use an agent that only matches DT-generated notes with the ‘wrong’ KAs and thus do the reset function only on those notes that need it.

However, bear in mind that notes created in a DT watched group are assigned a built-in prototype called ‘Imported From DEVONthink’ which sets DT-related KAs by inheritance. Thus you may not need a ‘reset’ at all but simply to apply a different prototype and let inheritance set the desired KAs.

(jmm) #4

Is there any way to reset all attributes that have been emptied? This would facilitate the common task or resetting manually each different attribute that has been changed locally.

(Mark Anderson) #5

If you mean set to no value locally, then ‘No’. You can test individual attributes for having a locally-set value using hasLocalValue("attributeName"[,target]) (explained here). However, there’s no pre-built method to iterate that over every possible attribute a note may posses. If that seems an omission it’s worth bearing in mind action code is not a programming IDE but a set of macros used for textual analysis and export that have grown as needed over time rather than as a pre-planned complete framework.