Tinderbox Forum

Retaining Outline formatting/indents within a Note

Hi All,

I’d like to make a case for expanding the scope of an individual Note for it to be capable of outline-style behavior WITHIN the note; or at least to allow multiple levels of indenting within the $Text.

Say if I’ve created an outline in another text app (Word, Pages, Taskpaper) and import that note into TB - while retaining it as an individual note - I find it loses the multiple indents in TB; it appears that all indentations are reduced to 2-levels.

I very often bring externally generated outlines into TB for further ideation and tinderboxing; and often need to re-export those worked-on texts to Word/Pages/Taskpaper as deliverables. Losing the original indentations makes this a non-option (i’ve been making do by adding starting dashes, bolding/italicizing sub-topics, and so on, but it’s time-consuming to begin with and not very helpful in cases of longer $Text fields).

As an extension of this concept, I would like to imagine that a Note that supports multi-level indenting could be Exploded (if required) into an actual TB Container/Outline (viz, allowing a Note to be scaled up into a Container/Outline and back down again into an individual Note).

Maybe what I’m asking is already possible via some html-ery (which I’d like to avoid, and stay plain-text); or perhaps, considered unnecessary or outside the scope of TB. Any advice or thoughts, as always, are deeply appreciated.

Hope all are safe and well!

(PS, some related posts are here and there)

If you activate Format > Text > Show Ruler you have access to the standard macOS formatting features including lists, styles, tabs, etc.

Explode can then break a list into separate notes.

becomes

Screenshot of Tinderbox (4-25-20, 6-56-51 AM)

another view

The rest of the suggestions are, by extension, already included in Tinderbox.

2 Likes

Oh derrr. Thank you. I’ll leave this post undisturbed as shame-proof that I ought to spend more time reading the manual :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Thanks @PaulWalters!!

PS - in practical terms, for the next poor fella with this question - all you’ve got to do is click in the ruler bar and generate a bunch of indent markers BEFORE pasting your multi-dent text into the $Text :))

1 Like