Setting up drag/drop or copy/paste from Devonthink

(Paul Walters) #21

What edition and version of DEVONthink are you using?

(JESP) #22

Devonthink Office Pro Version 2.9.17

(Paul Walters) #23

OK, thanks. Same thing here. What is it you are dragging? An RTF? RTFD? Text? Just now I dragged .txt, .rtf, .rtfd, .xlsx, .pdf, .png, .bmp, .gif, and .eml documents one by one from DEVONthink to Tinderbox and even if the content is not imported (e.g., for .eml) the info I posted above is created, with the URL KA, with the x-devonthink-item:// link in the URL. IOW, I cannot make this fail.

Have you tried rebooting your computer recently? Or created a new user and tested the import there?

(JESP) #24

I’ll try rebooting my computer to see if it works.

I’m selecting a portion of text from an RTF file from within DTP, and dragging it into Tinderbox.

(Paul Walters) #25

Aha. New information. When you said you “dragged notes” I merely assumed you were dragging files.

Yes. Selecting and dragging content will not work. That’s not how the integration between DEVONthink and Tinderbox works. (By default, DEVONthink never puts metadata such as URL, etc., onto the clipboard when text is copied. You would need to write a JXA or AppleScript thingy to do that for you.)

Drag documents.

You can, of course, drag text out of a document in your database and into the same group or a different group, and DEVONthink will create a document whose content is the dragged text. Then you can drag that new document into Tinderbox.

(JESP) #26

Sorry if I didn’t make that clear before. In lieu of that level of integration between DTP & TB, I’ve been clicking on edit, selecting “Copy Item Link,” and then pasting that URL into TB’s URL window for that note section. It requires another few steps, but it does work.

It would be great if I could drag a portion of text from DTP, and have the url (i.e., the Copy Item Link) for that section carry over into TB! Here’s hoping it can happen in future editions…

(JESP) #27

BTW, is there any way to make a feature request for the dragging a portion of text from a DTP file, and have the url (i.e., the Copy Item Link) for that dragged section carry over into TB?

Thanks!

(Paul Walters) #28

You could write Eastgate and ask.

The DEVONthink item link refers to the document, not to portions of a document (i.e., selected text). Also, as I mentioned, DEVONthink does not put metadata onto the clipboard – the URL or anything else – when text is dragged or copied from a document.

You would need to ask DEVONtechnologies to change that behavior. Tinderbox cannot do something with metadata that’s not present to begin with.

(JESP) #29

Got it. Thanks for that information. I’m still getting a grasp of Tinderbox (steep learning curve, indeed!), so that’s very helpful… Thank you, again.