Tasks & Events from Calendar.app and OmniFocus into Tinderbox

Even, perhaps, the aging human body.:grinning:

Looks as if Iā€™ll have to live with that rare bug for the time being.

1 Like

Perhaps not so rare. Iā€™m also having issues. I came across this post and tried to reset all with:

tccutil reset All com.eastgate.Tinderbox-8

This returned:

tccutil: No such bundle identifier

Is the identifier correct here?

It seems a bit bizarre! Hereā€™s my terminal test:

Simon$ tccutil reset Calendar
Simon$ tccutil reset com.eastgate.Tinderbox-8
tccutil: Failed to reset database
Simon$ sudo tccutil reset com.eastgate.Tinderbox-8 
tccutil: Failed to reset database
Simon$ tccutil reset All com.eastgate.Tinderbox-8
Simon$ tccutil reset All Tinderbox
Simon$ mdfind kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier == 'com.eastgate.Tinderbox-8'
/Applications/Tinderbox 8.app

The Calendar is reset.
com.eastgate.Tinderbox-8 fails to reset
tccutil reset All com.eastgate.Tinderbox-8 cannot find the identifier
mdfind kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier == ā€˜com.eastgate.Tinderbox-8ā€™ uses the identifier to find Tinderbox.app

If tccutil fails to reset the database entry for a given bundle identifier (and the Tinderbox 8 identifier is correct, as in the example above), all that means is that that bundle was never registered in the privacy database on that machine. Not every app has an entry in that database.

That makes sense.

TB8 never asked me for permission to use the calendar. Iā€™ve also uninstalled and reinstalled. Iā€™ve also reset the calendar database and other apps are asking to use the Calendar, but not TB8.

Interestingly neither did TB8 ask for contacts access and is not listed in the privacy settings under contacts, but when I drag in a contact it creates prototypes and add the contact data. And after doing that still isnā€™t listed in privacy under contacts.

If you drag in a contact, you are dragging data that was ā€œexportedā€ from Contacts. Tinderbox is not directly accessing Contacts and therefore does not need permission. There is no case I am aware of that Tinderbox directly accesses data in Calendar or Contacts**. It does not read from or write to the data in those apps ā€“ it only uses data exported from them ā€“ and so does not need permission.

** The exception case is that someone could write a script or use Run Command to access Calendar or Contacts, that could possible trigger a privacy permissions request.

1 Like

I know this is an old topic - but itā€™s causing me some pane with TB8.

Any thoughts on running TB7 alongside to get over this? I know TB7 wonā€™t support new features of TB8, but I donā€™t know whether using 7 on a file created in 8 will cause problems

@ThatGuy can you provide a bit more detail about what is happening with Tinderbox 8 for you?

Iā€™m looking to track project-related calendar events and tasks in TB.

When I drag or copy/paste calendar events into TB8, none of the attributes is populated - I get a simple text note with the title of the event and time/place etc in the text.
Iā€™ve never seen TB8 request access to the calendar and using the terminal as discussed above tells me that TB8 was never registered in the privacy database.

This worked OK in TB7, so I wondered whether a dual install might provide a (clumsy) workaround. It might be more trouble than itā€™s worth - hence my question.

This is under-the-hood stuff and we are a user forum so itā€™s hard to answer. Iā€™d suggest this is a question better asked directly of tech support. My experience is Apple have been steadily tightening all sorts of behind-the-scenes inter-app data access to data. Updating apps and/or the OS seems to sometimes fail to trigger the OS to ask an app to re-authorise its previous access leading to a silent fail. It is also possible the data format of calendar events has changed, breaking existing app access to usable data. Either ay, tech support can give a more authoritative answer.

I can confirm that dragging a Calendar Event, in macOS 10.14.6, to Tinderbox v8.1.1 results in a note using the source eventā€™s main label but lacking any date/time information.

I can also confirm the documented method does work in v7.5.6 (also on macOS 10.14.6)

Weā€™ll investigate.

Are you using macOS 10.15 (Catalina) or 10.14 (Mojave)?

Thanks - Iā€™m running 10.15

I think weā€™ve found the issue ā€” another ill-documented security/privacy-related restriction in Catalina ā€” and this should be addressed in the next release.

Thank you - very quick work and much appreciated

I seem to have a small wrinkle - while this is working well for the most part (thanks!), it doesnā€™t work with my single Exchange calendar. All my other calendars are either iCloud or my own server (MacOS server - yes I know itā€™s been deprecated, but ā€¦)

Is there a known issue with Exchange calendars in the Apple Calendar app, or is this just another of the unplumbed mysteries of MacOS?

Itā€™s possible that the Exchange calendar has additional security that prevents sharing. None of this is adequately documented

I guess so. In know there are all kinds of configuration options in an Exchange environment, and that often the admins donā€™t understand them fully (at least, that seems to be the case in places I go to).

Interestingly, if I copy the event to one of my own server calendars, it still fails to import into TB correctly. So thereā€™s clear;y something missing, either in Exchange or in the way Apple handles Exchange events.

Never mind - itā€™s not fatal. Thanks for responding.

Dragging and Dropping Dates from Calendar.app seems to work fine now in Tinderbox 8.x under Catalina (although the notes from within the date entry created in Calendar.app arenā€™t brought over).

Unfortunately, thatā€™s not true for dates brought in from Fantastical 2.x and 3.x.

Ideas, why this isnā€™t working accordingly?

Cheers

I can drag events from Fantastical to Tinderbox here.

ā€¦ and the result does look exactly the same as dragged events from Calendar.app?