Tinderbox Forum

Tinderbox as a QDA app (alternative to or along with Atlas.Ti or Maxqda)

(Rene Trappel) #24

Thanks for these insights. Atlas.ti has changed quite a bit since I last used it. A few questions, if I may:

1. You seem to use it for the analysis of secondary sources (e.g. published literature). Is this a correct assumption? Is this how you read all of your literature and sources?

2. How does it scale? One of the issues I had before was that after having importing about 100 PDFs the system got really sluggish. Same with MaxQDA.

(Desalegn) #25
  1. Yes; I am using it for reading published articles and books. The pdf reading experience in AtlasTi is very solid.
  2. I have about 150 documents it; it is pretty fast so far. Last time I tried (i was comparing these QDA apps for a couple of a year ago), MaxQDA felt a bit faster. NVIVO is the slowest of all.

(James Regan) #26

In an OO document, place the cursor at the end of a line item (Topic), right click to display a dialog that lists several options. One option is (Attach File) that enables you to select a file in a folder of your choosing. I created a folder named Attached Files in my documents directory where I placed all my files to be included in my research. Select the PDF desired file, and at the bottom of the dialog, there are two options: 1) embed file in the document and 2) create a link to the file. Click on “create a link to the file.” Then push the select button at the bottom and the PDF will appear next to the topic. I would be happy to send you a couple of screen shots to illustrate further if desired. I hope this helps.

(Andreas Grimm) #27

@regan yes, please go ahead and kindly share your screen shots, will you.