Tinderbox as a QDA app (alternative to or along with Atlas.Ti or Maxqda)

Thanks for these insights. Atlas.ti has changed quite a bit since I last used it. A few questions, if I may:

1. You seem to use it for the analysis of secondary sources (e.g. published literature). Is this a correct assumption? Is this how you read all of your literature and sources?

2. How does it scale? One of the issues I had before was that after having importing about 100 PDFs the system got really sluggish. Same with MaxQDA.

1. Yes; I am using it for reading published articles and books. The pdf reading experience in AtlasTi is very solid.
  2. I have about 150 documents it; it is pretty fast so far. Last time I tried (i was comparing these QDA apps for a couple of a year ago), MaxQDA felt a bit faster. NVIVO is the slowest of all.

In an OO document, place the cursor at the end of a line item (Topic), right click to display a dialog that lists several options. One option is (Attach File) that enables you to select a file in a folder of your choosing. I created a folder named Attached Files in my documents directory where I placed all my files to be included in my research. Select the PDF desired file, and at the bottom of the dialog, there are two options: 1) embed file in the document and 2) create a link to the file. Click on “create a link to the file.” Then push the select button at the bottom and the PDF will appear next to the topic. I would be happy to send you a couple of screen shots to illustrate further if desired. I hope this helps.

@regan yes, please go ahead and kindly share your screen shots, will you.

As people still seem to read this post, just some clarification. I am not sure what should be dangerous or sinister about ATLAS.ti licencing. If such a statement is made, it needs clarification. ATLAS.ti licencing back in 2017 was no different from the norm - you bought a licence key and entered it after installing the software. All licences were by usage and not linked to a computer hard disk - so quite fair. If you have multiple computers, you could and still can have multiple installations of ATLAS.ti - but with one licence you can only use one computer at a given point in time. The same is true today - licencing has been modernized. You now create an ATLAS.ti account and activate your licence. You can have as many installations as you want, two concurrent usages are allowed (Mac / Win) (Win/Cloud) (Cloud/Mac). If you have a Mac, a PC and want to use the Cloud version, you simply log out one device and you can work on a different device using your ATLAS.ti account.

@SFriese. I am sorry, I had the impression that the free version doesn’t allow exporting one’s data once the license expired.
I have latter learned that I was wrong. It is export one’s data even after the license expired.
I tried to correct my first post in this page; but doesn’t allow modification anymore (may be the post is too old to be edited).

As moderator I have edit access and have ammeded post #10

1 Like

thank u mark

1 Like