Tinderbox Training Video 44 - Working with Lookups, Link Actions, and Automated Links

Tinderbox Video - Working with Lookups, Link Actions, and Automated Links

Level
Published Date 4/17/21
Tags .Lookup, 4CKMEl, 4Cs of Knowledge Management and Exchange, Action Code, Edict, Link Actions, Rule, Scriptwriting, Stamps, Tinderbox, aTbRef, linkTo, unlinkFrom
Video Length 14:10
Video URL Tinderbox Video - Working with Lookups, Link Actions, and Automated Links - YouTube
Example File TBX L - Working with Term Lookups, Link Actions, and Automated Link Updates.tbx (424.7 KB)
Revision 1
TBX Version 8.9
Instructor Michael Becker
Acknowledgements Gernot Weise @Gernot

In this lesson, I explain how to build lookup lists from notes and their children, specifically a list of terms’ synonyms and people’s names (e.g. characters). I also show how to, with action code, automatically update a notes links (add a link and remove a link) based on the values specified in a note’s attributes. I show the action code for each of the operations needed to make all this happened. Furthermore, I show how I incrementally build a rule by creating individual operations with stamps, and when everything is working, how I create a a rule by copying all the stamps into a single rule.

TBX L -  Working with Term Lookups, Link Actions, and Automated Link Updates

Code for the automatic linking and unlinking of terms and characters

$Character.each(x){linkFromOriginal(x,"Character");};
$Gist=$LUSynonyms("TBXConfigNote").lookup($Term).replace(",",";");
$CharLinked=links.inbound."Character".$Name;
$CharUnlink=$CharLinked-$Character;
$CharUnlink.each(x){unlinkFrom($CharUnlink,"Character");};
$CharLinked=;
$CharUnlink=;
$Term.each(x){linkFromOriginal(x,"Term");};
$TermLinked=links.inbound."Term".$Name;
$TermUnlink=$TermLinked-$Term;
$TermUnlink.each(x){unlinkFrom($TermUnlink,"Term");};
$TermLinked=;
$TermUnlink=;

Hi Michael, Just saw this for the first time. So clever and useful. Thankyou.

1 Like

Thanks. I did this over a year ago. You’d be amazed on how far I’ve taken this approach since then. If you want, let’s set up a zoom call and I’ll show you the progress. DM me if you’re interested.