Tinderbox Forum

What is the query for finding all the linked notes?

(Christian Zwieb) #1

The answer to this would help me and perhaps others while exploring the new hyperbolic view.

Thank you.

(Mark Anderson) #2

…all the linked notes?
Linked to what? The selected note? Any/all notes linked via some means to the connected note?

The hyperbolic view shows the latter. there isn’t, as far as I know, as query that does this. Even if there was, it would be not that useful as it would flatten all the link paths to a distance of one. Also, bear in mind issues of scale, for a document of 50 notes vs one of 5000?

What do you envisage a query equalling the whole hyperbolic view explaining? I’m not suggesting it has no purpose, but am interested in how you would use it.

(Christian Zwieb) #3

My case: the document of 8000+ notes is viewed as outline most of the time. I want to find the infrequent linked notes, pick one, and start a meaningful insightful hyperbolic view. Perhaps this only comes up while playing around excitedly with this new feature. Real workflow will show if a “$islinked” would be useful, and there are likely workarounds…

(Paul Walters) #4

You could use Attribute Browser, add columns to count inbound and outbound links, then sort on one or the other link counts to see “infrequent[ly] linked notes”

(Christian Zwieb) #5

Thank you for the comments. Is the query

$OutboundLinkCount = true | $InboundLinkCount = true

a proper solution? It lists aliases of notes with links. Select the original note from the list and evoke hyperbolic view.

(Mark Anderson) #6

In such a scenario, look at the data type of the attribute you are testing - you can do this for System Attributes using the document Inspector’s System tab. Doing so you will see that both $OutboundLinkCount & $InboundLinkCount are Number-type attributes. Therefore the appropriate query would be:

$OutboundLinkCount > 0 | $InboundLinkCount > 0

Your version of the query might work, but only accidentally, as 0 is the default value for number type and that coerces to a Boolean false. Any other number value will coerce to true.

Summary, if in doubt, start by looking up the data type(sd) of the attribute(s) in question.

(Paul Walters) #7

Sorry, my suggestion was terse. This is simple to set up. Queries not needed. Just add columns for the link count attributes, and sort on either $InboundLinkCount or $OutboundLinkCount. Select a note of interest, then change the type of the AB tab you are looking at to Hyperbolic.

↓↓

(Christian Zwieb) #8

Thank you for the correction and the detail on doing this in the attribute browser without query.