A TB Starter Kit?

After reading this thread and thinking about my own experience, perhaps it might address some of the issues raised if, instead of a starter kit, there might be a series of structured questions regarding the nature of the intended use, the type(s) of data being considered, possible end results envisaged, maybe other software involved as well as some indication of the level of experience of the user (OK with simple coding, for example). Maybe this could be attached to the "Getting Started…’ example? Maybe it’s a first post requirement on this forum?

Perhaps this isn’t such a good idea, but perhaps some sort of structured introduction from the user’s point of view (other than the ‘Getting Started…’ one) might be worth considering?

This, of course, might be more trouble than it’s worth, but…

1 Like

This is interesting, and I agree with @Flailingaround that a kind of semi-formal starting post from willing new users would help the rest of the community with context, and help the poster frame their question.

Of course, of the 835 users of this community (as of a few minutes ago) most of the registered users do nothing or very little when visiting here.

There is no context for these data of course: no knowledge of actual Tinderbox owners in the universe (include Alpha Centauri of course), how many seek help elsewhere, why folks register here, what other forum’s user profiles are, etc.

Data

Data for cross tab fans
Forum User Info 20200229.tbx (618.8 KB)

2 Likes

I think @Flailingaround’s idea is really interesting. The arc of many threads is to move away from the originators description of their what idealised outcome looks like (in their minds eye) and abstracting/breaking it down into generalised building blocks the OP can then use. However, this flip from imagined outcome of a defined process/workflow to the same described in terms of building blocks (i.e. Tinderbox’s toolset) can be hard. Certainly, not because anyone in the conversation is being dumb or difficult. I think that some folk initially find the abstraction difficult/uncomfortable.

So, if we ask, “what are you trying to do?”, the ask is “X”. This is usually bolstered by unstated assumptions that “X” is a common task in the Tinderbox community and that there is a correct way (or few correct ways) to do “X”. A complication is often that they are used to doing “X” in an app/utility designed just for doing “X” and they are confused as to why Tinderbox is not constructed like that app (their frame of reference). At the same time, asking a very abstract question, like “how does you task define its data?” or something delving into its metadata is likely to get a limited reply.

So I wonder how to frame the questions. I think the starting questions approach is a good way to help new forum members, we just have to figure what they should be!

1 Like

Perhaps it might be of use to begin the process by asking existing forum members why they came to Tinderbox, what they hoped to get out of it? I realize that only a few (given @PaulWalters’ post above ) will likely respond. But it might be a start. If so, I’ll happily add my answers, which are:

1. I came to Tinderbox because I couldn’t find any other piece of software which seemed capable of doing what I wanted, i.e., use data in a more flexible way than simply entering notes. I needed to be able to ‘play’ with them and be able to add more complexity later. I other words I wasn’t locked in to only using data in one way.
  2. What to get out of it? That’s simpler. I wanted to be able to have a mass of information that I could link, sort, see, and generally rearrange. A resource bank for a novel…

Of course, this might not be a useful starting point or be the ‘correct’ / most useful questions, but it might open up the discussion into new areas…

2 Likes

Just to say I’m following this thread with interest, though just now I’m tied up with some new coding ideas.

Thank you @Flailingaround

Why I came to Tinderbox

I do not remember when I came to Tinderbox (Eastgate’s records would), but the reason is the same reason I stay with Tinderbox:

• I want to build information models. “Note taking” seems constrained and dull, as an occupational description. So I want to correlate information related to various problems, work and personal, as they come up.
  • I wanted a combination of flexibility – to support experimentation and recovery from false starts – and tools / features. The infinite attributional aspect of Tinderbox combined with textual and visual views of my content is excellent and sui generis
  • I wanted software that is enjoyable. Using Tinderbox is play. What more can I say about that :laughing:

What do I do with Tinderbox

• Anything and everything – short list of work and play I have done so far
    – written and published blogs
    – managed projects
    – tracked tasks
    – collected and correlated book notes
    – solved numerous problems with quick, off the cuff models
    – “brainstormed” by dashing off notes and structure, repeatedly arranging, then when “aha” comes, deleting the file
    – doodled with words
    – Written formal documents and informal experiments for work and personal reasons

Where do I want to go next

• More of the same, but focus on some more in-depth personal research issues overlapping cognition, consciousness and philosophy.

Where do I want Tinderbox to go next

• Just keep on inventing new things – Eastgate has year by year made Tinderbox fresher and more creative, so I’m happy to ride along wherever Mark goes.
6 Likes

Why I came to Tinderbox

Because I moved to Mac. I used to play around with a tool called Zoot in my Windows days (and I’ve just gone back to see if it was still around. It is, and oh boy has it evolved) - I may have even followed @JFallows

Mostly tinker - every few months I get a hankering to “put my life in tinderbox” - but it never really pans out. I did use it once “to the end” to make a corpus for a “history of photography” presentation i was putting together

Make it a hub of my “online” knowledge. All the prepackaged and heavily marketed tools like “theBrain” feel gaudy. I want TB to be that toolbench i turn to whenever I need to do something with my data

I’d love closer integration with Hook so I can bring links and references to other pieces of data into my .tbx files (e.g. I would’ve linked my picture library to my conceptual notes in the above referenced “history of photography” presentation)
The current discussions on linking, and the things we could learn from Roam, holds great promise.

4 Likes

I’m one of those forum members in the data who visit regularly but don’t contribute much. That is because I find many of the discussions of general working methods interesting, but I’m not really a Tinderbox user.

I can’t remember when I first heard of Tinderbox, but it was a very long time ago, and I think I first came across it mentioned in an article by Michael Bywater. He said it was a special kind of program and I was curious enough to take a look at it. I didn’t stay long because I just couldn’t understand the program. There is some research in psychology that suggests that experience is an obstacle to learning because people take what they have already learned and try to apply it in situations in which it is inappropriate to do so. No doubt I was suffering from some of that, though I didn’t know it at the time.

However, I had seen enough (or heard enough from clever people) to be curious about the program, and that curiosity has never really gone away. Like many people when faced with a mystery, there is an element of “I would like to get to the bottom of this”.

I think my next foray into Tinderbox was inspired by Steve Zeoli. He wrote a few blog posts showing how he had used Tinderbox in a particular case of historical research. If I had not seen that example, I suppose I might never have returned to Tinderbox. However, while I now knew more about how Tinderbox might be used, I still found it too complex for me. (I should say that I have no knowledge of coding, scripting, or anything else of that sort). I have a bit of a history of trying to automate things on my computer and wasting a huge amount of time failing to get things to work. So setting up agents and the like was just too much for me. I maybe had ideas that it would be nice if a note had a certain colour if it dealt with a certain thing, but I just couldn’t get it to work. I had some ideas, but not the skill to put them into practice. And here perhaps it is worth noting that “skill” might not just be a case of knowledge of the correct syntax of a command – it might also be about certain basic principles of computing/coding/scripting that not all of us are well equipped to understand. No matter how many times I read Mark Anderson’s excellent reference material, I will never understand some of it. Marx’s theory of alienation was easier for me. And one of the problems is that ideas and how they might be implemented are actually bound together. You will not have a certain idea unless you have some inkling that it may be possible and how to bring it into being.

In short, I have tried to use Tinderbox many times, but it has never “stuck” with me, and it has never become a regular part of my working life. In many ways I would love to be a user, and I have spent quite a bit of money keeping up to date with the upgrades, but there has always been a barrier. In the back of my mind there is a kind of irrational longing that says “one day I will conquer this program” but there is another part of my mind that tells me that I will never achieve it. I do use the program from time to time, but it often seems to be that I attempt to start a project in Tinderbox, then give up and switch to something simpler. I feel a bit like someone who has some wonderful clothes in the wardrobe, but they are too tight to be able to wear, and I am dreaming of losing enough weight to make them fit. In recent times I have been feeling the need for greater simplicity in the tools I use on the computer. The latest upgrade to DEVONthink was a kind of nightmare for me, and it made me question a lot of the assumptions I had made about working methods over the past few years. At present I am experimenting with plain text notes in the file system, and finding it a bit of a liberation. This has been largely inspired by the discussions over at www.zettelkasten.de. I have taken to using The Archive as a tool for my notes and I like the “bare bones” feel of it. Just me and the text.

And on that last point, a thought has popped into my mind. I believe I have always found using Tinderbox to be stressful. There is so much to be learned and so much that can go wrong that I operate in a mild state of anxiety when I use the program. I have encountered so many conundrums (adornments I cannot reposition, agents that don’t work, etc.). Yes, the community is wonderful and very helpful and can solve many problems. But sometimes you do need to be able to work on your own. In other words, it is not just starting out that may be difficult. There is also a kind of “middle” stage of usage where people may hit a brick wall. I know I did.

In summary, I suppose I would say that I find Tinderbox fascinating, and I would love to be a proper Tinderbox user, but I’m not sure I will ever develop the skills and understanding that are required to get the best out of it. Starting was undoubtedly a problem for me, but so is continuing. I will no doubt carry on dabbling, but more in hope than expectation. I’m sorry this is not a more useful contribution, but this is roughly my experience of trying to learn Tinderbox. And best of luck to all on their journey!

4 Likes

Martin I enjoyed reading your post as it seems to reflect much of my journey with Tinderbox. I tried using Tinderbox at version 2, grew incredibly frustrated and gave up till Tinderbox 7. Much of the time I have Tiderbox Imposter Syndrome(TIS), especially when I read of some of the brilliant solutions in the forums or Mark Anderson excellent Wiki.

I too went down the Zettelkasten route with The Archive and have enjoyed it. Where I have found Tinderbox incredibly useful is when I want to corral facts rather than a note repository. For my limited level of understanding I like using Tiderbox to draw boxes and lines till some structure or cohesiveness emerges. Beck’s Videos are an excellent overdrew of the using maps. Agents and adornments are a useful adjunct to tease out some data.

Admittedly TIS kicks in when I try to use the Attribute Browser or when I read about the Crosstab view. I have come to the realization that I too am a Tinderbox dabbler, but I am content with my current level of ignorance and hope to make some incremental progress in understanding.

Why does reading about cross tabs make you feel like a Tinderbox impostor?

Some people needed this to answer specific kinds of questions about their notes. Like: you have notes about your students. You want to explore how various things affect the student’s final exam score. Are there students who do poorly in other parts of the course but well one final?

Now, this just isn’t a kind of question everybody needs to ask all the time. To be honest, it’s not something I’d really needed to look at in years. But it wasn’t that hard to provide a suitable tool for the job, and if you need it, it’s there.

1 Like

Not just Crosstabs but any Tinderbox feature that I have a hard time wrapping my head around. I suspect it is something like FOMO (fear of missing out). Tinderbox is a powerful program - I wonder what kind of things I could be doing with it if I just understood it better(hence Tinderbox Imposter Syndrome). Admittedly, it is serving my current needs.

1 Like

It is worth remembering the Tinderbox is essentially a toolbox. Very few users, apart from beta testers, need to use every feature. I really think FOMO embracing helps use of the app. Wether a new, occasional, or seasoned user, the key thing is to figure out the parts of the overall toolbox that are pertinent for your work. Tinderbox is not a utility with a small range of tasks and one right way to do them.

Rather than worry about “how to I use feature X?” think about what you are trying to do. If you get stuck, ask here.

3 Likes

I came to Tbx because I love mind maps & outliners but wanted deeper integration with a personal notes database & the ability to ideate flexibly. I’ve explained to Mark B that I struggled mightily with syntax & dialogs at first. And I still don’t feel like I make time-effective use of Tbx. I came to the conclusion that I’m just way too visually-oriented, and that notes have to look predictably laid out & systematic or else I get distracted by departures from that, rather than thinking & creating. I’m the same way with manuscripts that need lots of editing. For example, the first thing I do in a mind-mapping app is build centering or screen-fit macros, then I can think. The map view in Tbx is just too variable in appearance for me to make use of it effectively (or I just haven’t learned how to make notes & their layout sufficiently systematic so as not to be distracting).

I have taken many disparate notes on aspects of financial market concepts & phenomena. Tbx is probably perfect for distilling my overall understanding of all that effort. And yet …

I also think it could be very helpful in teaching myself Spanish. And yet …

1 Like

Tinderbox maps are exploration spaces, things like Illustrator or Omnigraffle or Visio are better for creating drawing into which you then add text. However, putting knowledge into fixed structures adds unintentional structure. The power of Tinderbox maps is their freeform structure. There are all sorts guides/grids for alignment. If you need to sweat link lines then I’d export the info to a formal drawing app as you’re trying to fix the map rather than explore its contents.

Put another way, the main point of maps is not to create artworks though you can make tidy layouts. Also, Tinderbox has other view types. A suggestion, work in a different view type for a bit so you’re not trying to draw to the detriment of the thinking. It’s a learning phase I definitely went through with the app. I only started to get best use of the view once I stopped viewing it as a diagramming space.

1 Like

I’m enjoying this conversation and I wanted to link to related thread from 2016.

I’ve had an off and on relationship with tinderbox. When I return after an absence it sometimes takes me awhile to re-learn how to do things. I find having well defined tbx’s is useful.

Mark - thanks very much for your perspectives, which make sense. Mark B had a similar suggestion: spend more time in the outliner, then leverage that. Appreciate the nudge!

I get it, but I don’t think it’s the kind of thing that should be solely on the shoulders of Eastgate to work out. May I propose that interested folks who have an idea or need submit these sort of starter docs, and let the community help refine them? Then Eastgate can put them someplace accessible to this forum.

… but wait, that sort of thing has been going on for many years – with the older Tinderbox weekend examples (don’t know where they are stored publicly but I have my own copies), plus samples provided by Eastgate (if you can’t find them today, the use the internet archive to find them, plus examples provided by @mwra and others of us, plus what @beck provided, plus @dominiquerenauld’s examples … plus … plus … plus.

(Personally, I don’t think the examples the FileMaker provides are relevant. First, FileMaker is a database builder and most people using databases know what that means. Even with that background, the FileMaker files are not necessarily easy to work with, in my experience. )

1 Like

I didn’t propose this in my original post. I also get the comments that creating “starter kits” can lead to more questions. I was merely trying to connect a related conversation in the spirit of creating links to help others. In that thread several people offered starter solutions.

One thing that draws me back to tinderbox again and again is the investment that everyone in this community makes to helping each other out.

Why I came to Tinderbox

I have been a fan of concept maps since I discovered CMapTools in the mid/late aughts (don’t quite remember exactly). As my PhD studies ramped up, I naturally wanted to map my coursework and researched options. CMap is still around but the software requires Java, is pixelated in appearance, and doesn’t seem to be actively built upon or improved. Looking for an alternative, I found many tools/examples that allowed one to endlessly riff on their thoughts, but none that helped to “think” them. Discovering Tinderbox, I knew I’d found something of power and interest, but I wasn’t able to imagine my own use cases until I discovered @SteveZ’s videos. Several :bulb:'s went off and I was running.

I use Tinderbox for many things. I use it to brainstorm, synthesize ideas, and make connections across scholarly contributions, such as publications, theories, or findings. My area of research is the attention economy and attention restoration, specifically how we design environments that restore and give us greater agency over our attention. Tinderbox serves as a documentation, reference, and generative space for my work in these areas. I also use TB to plan syllabi, grants, manage classes and students, and occasionally track projects. I’ve also done a bit of memory documentation, particularly using the timeline to chart my early memories to see where they line up with other events in my life.

As my research ramps up, I’m beginning to use it as a qualitative analysis tool. I have visions of exploding text, assigning metadata through dragging to adornments, and creating agents that will help me make connections across various transcripts and writings from my research participants. I am grateful to have developed skills with the tool already, as I know data analysis will push my knowledge of the tool to its edges. Grateful also to @mwra for his documentation, as it’s always nearby when I’m trying something new.

I am a fan of easy [[connecting one thing to another]] style syntax. I like that about The Archive and Roam, both of which I’ve played with but do not actively use. I find TB’s Quicklinks unpredictable and frustrating to use and would love if that part of the tool got a big shot in the arm, feature and UX-wise. :syringe:

8 Likes

Observation from this thread (perhaps banal):

• People use Tinderbox in very different ways for different purposes and that is OK.
  • It is a powerful toolbox designed to do a few very useful things right out of the box and that is OK.
  • If you want Tinderbox to work to your very specific requirements (which it can), be prepared to do the hard work to make it function your way and that is OK.
  • Tinderbox might not be the best tool for what you are trying to achieve, but by trying it out in Tinderbox (and perhaps failing or giving up) it might help you to better understand what you need and that is OK.

I use Tinderbox to take what is in my brain about a topic and put it down in words. Once it is written down, I can expand upon it, break it apart, put parts back together, see inconsistencies, restructure it, enhance it with research. I use a tiny fraction of Tinderbox’s features daily and that is OK. However, I know that should I need additional capabilities, there is a wealth of tools/features (and a supportive community) available to help me.

3 Likes