About hyperbolic view (Tinderbox 8)

Dear Mark Anderson,

Please explain how to compile Afghan COIN map from Afghanistan.tbx.

I have the luck to get this tbx file from my Application Support > Tinderbox > backups folder.

Afganistan.tbx will show (same as your Afghanistan-COIN copy.tdx 2019-04-17 22-11-478.png.)
in Map: DATA, when I use Tinderbox 6 Map View.

If people open this Afghanistan.tbx file with Tinderbox 8, it will nothing happen even opening with
hyperbolic view behaviour.
We need to pick up from Afghanistan > DATA, then open with Map View.
Now we can end up with a form factor similar to Afghanistan-COIN copy.tdx 2019-04-17 22-11-478.png that mwra given.

But if I change from Map view to hyperbolic view, I can get only “Afgan”,
begin with picking up one of the item exp “Coalition Knowledge” or “Coalition/Homeland” etc
then chose hyperbolic view from Menu, now I can get almost same viewing as mwra’s png.
I report on this hyperbolic view, but now reach my limit to explain about it.

Your explanation help us how to make a relationship between those articles or pieces.
Please let us know where this Afghanistan.tbx is taken into protective custody?
Could not you disclose it’s URL where we can access or to pick it up ?

Does the proposal meet with your approval?
thx and regards, WAKAMATSU kunimitsu

I forget to accompany with my png file.

The Hyperbolic view only shows notes that are linked with basic or text links within the document. Notes that are containers of other notes are note linked, unless you choose to link them, nor are sibling notes. For instance:

tbx%202019-04-18%2009-23-49

So opening this in hyperbolic view will only ever show one note as there are no links. Here ‘A container’ was selected and hyperbolic view opened:

tbx%202019-04-18%2009-25-16

Now, back in Outline view, if I drag a basic link from ‘A container’ to both its sibling and its child like so:

tbx%202019-04-18%2009-27-23

And switch back to hyperbolic view:

tbx%202019-04-18%2009-30-55

All three notes show up because they are linked

So in the Afghan COIN file:

• Select the existing map view tab.
  • Add a new tab to the document which will make a new map tab (a new tab always replicates the current tab’s view and scope).
  • Select any note (but not an adornment) on the map.
  • View menu, select ‘Hyperbolic’.

You should now see something similar to your picture above. Why? Because you changed to hyperbolic view with a note selected that was linked to other notes.

Hyperbolic view does allow you to delete notes (only from those that appear in the view) or create new notes by dragging a link onto the view background. But, realistically, it is view to use after making notes and links in other views.

In the Afghan COIN map [sic] all notes had to be on the same map (i.e. in the same outline container) for use to be able to see the links. Hyperbolic view does away with that limitation as what appears in the view is limited by what items are interlinked. To help illustrate that, let us go back to my simple demo above, not in map view:

tbx%202019-04-18%2009-44-36

As well as the first 3 notes, I’ve now added new notes ‘aa’, ‘bb’ and ‘cc’. ‘aa’ links to the other new notes. If I switch to hyperbolic view, will I now see six notes?

tbx%202019-04-18%2009-46-33

No, because only aa and bb are lined to cc. Remember, the view shows only notes linked directly or indirectly to the note selected when you started the view. But, if I switch back to map view and link ‘aa’ to ‘A sibling note’:

tbx%202019-04-18%2010-00-21

Then switch back to hyperbolic view:

tbx%202019-04-18%2010-00-52

We now see six notes.

Does that help?

Dear Mark Anderson,
Is it better to open with Map view first, is not it ?
At first time (I like very much using Outline Viw),
making link, we can easy to approach using Map view, I believe.
How do you think about it ?
For experienced worker, maybe not usefull behaviour for linking under Map View.

Let us talk about something else.

I attempted experiments using hyperbolic view.
I do not know where to put myself.
I would like to know,

#01: Why can not I same arrow length?
#02: Why can not I correct same proportion of casing trim in hyperbolic view?
#03: How and where should I correct those dimensional standard?
#04: How can I close over each item with hyperbolic view?

Thanks in advance.
I will send my expample png file as an attachment.

Thank you for your kind question.

Must you start from Map view? No, I don’t think so. The important thing to remember is it is a view of linked notes. In outline view, if a note icon has an in or out link a small arrow is shown on the item’s icon. So:

Untitled%202019-04-18%2013-22-44

AA has one or more out links, but none in. BB has one or more in links, but none out. CC has one or more links both in and out. DD has no links. so, you could use any of these except DD to make an effective use of hyperbolic view, as using DD would show just DD (it has no links!).

As I explain this I think it shows this is a hypertext related view, as it relies on the presence of links. If you don’t like or understand hypertext as a medium, this is probably a view to ignore.

All these questions are no relevant to this view because this is not a drawing space. It is a visualisation of linked items where the layout is controlled by the application. If you want to be able to alter the view’s layout, use Map view and place all your linked items in the same map.

Clicking on an item will re-centre the view on that item and select it in the text pane. Double-clicking the selected item will make it the focus note - the one with the red border (‘Tinderbox 8’ in your image above). When the focus note is changed the whole netwrok of linked notes is re-calculated and re-drawn.

So, to summarise:

• Hyperbolic view is not a user controlled drawing space
  • Map view != Hyperbolic view.
  • Hyperbolic view is hypertextual in nature. It is of most use to those interested in the hypertextual medium.
  • No user has to use/understand every feature. If you don’t understand or don’t need the view, it’s OK to ignore it.

I hope that makes it a little clearer.

Dear Mark Anderson,

Thanks a lot for your quick rejoinder and clear-cut explanation.
I hope I can look up in a v8 aTbRef those explanations,again.

Let’s step back and think about the underlying question Hyperbolic View is asking.

STUDENT: Take this note Vivaldi. I’d like to know all the notes that Vivaldi links to.
Mark: OK: here’s Note ▾ Browse Links!

STUDENT: Oh, I’d also like to see all the notes that link to Vivaldi.
Mark: OK: here’s View ▾ Roadmap.

STUDENT: OK. JS Bach links to Vivaldi. I’d like to see all the notes that link to and from JS Bach, too.
Mark: OK: tear off the Roadmap view, If you select a new note — either in map view or by double clicking it in the Roadmap, you can refocus the Roadmap on the selected note. (new in Tinderbox 8!)

STUDENT: Ah. So I can focus on JS Bach, and that will get me to JC Bach, and CPE Bach, and eventually to PDQ Bach. But I’ve lost all my perspective: couldn’t I see all the notes that are connected to Vivaldi in one view?
Mark: This is easy in small documents but gets hard in really big documents. Suppose we start with Arcangelo Corelli and in each generation we have about five links to later composers. So we have 5 in the inner circle, 25 in the next generation, 125 in the next
 It’s going to get crowded!
STUDENT: But this would be so useful!
Mark:. The number of notes in each generation might increase quadratically, but the circumference at the edge of the screen only increases linearly. It’s just not going to fit: it’s the nature of geometry!
STUDENT: But this would be so useful!
Mark: OK. It’s the nature of Euclidean geometry, yes. But we can imagine a different kind of geometry where this could work nicely.

In our familiar geometry, the circumference of a circle increases linearly as the circle gets bigger. Let’s imagine instead a geometry where the circumference of a circle increases faster as the circle grows — fast enough so we could fit all the notes we might need.

It turns out, a bunch of 19th-century mathematicians invented exactly this kind of geometry. They were trying to prove, as it happens, that you couldn’t do it — and failed. The particular flavor we use was concocted by Henri PoincarĂ©, and has some peculiar consequences:

• Given a line, and a point not on that line, there are an infinite number of lines from that point that are parallel to the line.

• The farther you go from the center, the smaller everything becomes.

• Suppose you lived on the PoincarĂ© disk and wanted to know whether the universe (or Wakamatsu’s screen) was infinite or not. You choose a direction, and begin walking. As you approach the edge of the screen, you get smaller and smaller, and your legs cover less and less ground. As far as you walk, there’s always more! So, the screen is infinite!

• If you start at some point on the PoincarĂ© disk — call it Peoria — and walk in a straight line, it looks to us like you’re following a circular arc. (Exception: if you happen to be walking directly toward the edge, your path will look like a line to us.)

So, loosely speaking, notes near the center are “normal size”, but they seem smaller and smaller as they approach the edge.

2 Likes

Splendid explanation! Very helpful.

Dear Eastgate or Mr.Mark Bernstein,
Thanks a lot for your recommendation.

Thank you for your metaphorically speaking about classical famous composers.
And took up “Poincare”. It was a big surprise.
Poincare, this article relating to my area of interest, Poincaré section or Poincaré map,
this pattern of thinking is almost same as conscientious Musicians’s.

Myself, concert flutist, but sametime spend my time studying “Chaos” or “Topology”.
Music encourages cooperation in areas such as physical science.
In 1994, I hold a Presentation [How I control my performing sound on Flute playing]
“Chaos in Acoustics & Optics System” under Society of theoretical physics at Kyoto University(Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics).
As you know Newton, Kepler, Max Plank, they wrote a music theory book,
and they used music as a lifetime hobby.

Music notation is a kind of Poincaré map, I believe, this is quite sure.
This time around, I am interested in hyperbolic view.
Music stay at very near edge of Chaos, but never bring Chaotic world.
Because Music keeps strictly to stay with Magical number 3.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like