Attempting to create a mileage log

Wonderful! This worked very well! Thank you so much for the guidance. :+1:

I notice I still have a leftover route in the matrix as well as the dropdown when I choose my TripRoute. (two screenshots attached) It almost seems to be associated with the ‘asString To asString’ route in the Trips Folder, but then again I can’t seem to explain the routes shown in the screenshot that contains the dropdown. Is it okay to delete the ‘asString’ file, or does it serve some other function? And any other thoughts on where I might find those two extra routes shown in the screenshot?

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 6.58.20 PM

I just answered part of my own question pertaining to the C Boulevard Suites routes in the dropdown list. They were from other trip entries from our Zoom call. I deleted those two trip logs and now the extra two entries in the dropdown have disappeared.

So my last question, so far, still stands. Is it okay to delete the asString entry, or does that serve some other function?

Yes, you can delete the as string entries; they are just chaff from earlier automation. I’m glad this is working for you now. :slight_smile:

Okay, so I’m making an attempt at contributing back to the community with my very humble additions to the TBX file shared in an earlier post.

Changes:

1. Because I prefer entry via keyboard as much as possible, I learned how to utilize stamps to parse information from a note title and place it into various attributes. This allows me to quickly enter routes and dates and move on to my next entry. (Formatted as startingPoint/endingPoint/mm/dd/yy in the note title then applying a stamp) I learned this through an earlier Tinderbox Meetup video. Thank you for hosting this session!
  2. I slightly adjusted the formatting and layout of the reports.
  3. I added a Readme to document the file for future mileage loggers.
  4. I revised the CSV spreadsheet to accommodate my own needs. (attached)

Everything is included as attachments below. Nothing profound for sure, but I think it’s still worthwhile to share - if nothing more than for my first entry above.

Thank you again to everyone involved in this process. I never would have gotten this far without your help!

Brian

Mileage - Demo.tbx (272.0 KB)
Mileage Matrix - Demo.csv.zip (851 Bytes)

4 Likes

I’ve made some updates. I initially used the text response in the XML, which was fine for short trips, but once the trips got longer the display of the results got wonky. I switched to pulling the value from the google API, which use uses meters for distance and seconds for duration. I simply applied math to get the correct distance depending on the unit (i.e., imperial or metric) and converted seconds to minutes.

Here is the updated share file.

TBX L - Mileage with Google Maps R4.tbx (536.7 KB)

2 Likes

@BrianP here are answers to your outstanding questions

You need to use offset in your export code

$AttributeName(Offset).

An offset pulls data from another note’s attributes. You can do this by specifying a path, note name, and other ways. In this case, I specify the note name “TBXConfig.”

Grocking the concept of offsets is incredibly important as it lets you interact with data throughout our TBX file.

I’ve updated your readme (added an attribution, noted the template update, and removed two of your known issues). I’ve not tested the google API in this file.

BrianP Mileage - DemoR2.tbx (409.1 KB)

1 Like