Create prototype off of composites

Hi all,

As the title says, can I quickly generate composites from a prototype?

Thanks!

Turn the question around: ā€œcan I make a composite into a prototype?ā€ The answer is no. ā€œCan the composited notes have the same or different prototypes?ā€ Yes.

So, you can generate a composite ā€œApple Pieā€ whose two notes have prototypes ā€œFruitā€ and ā€œCrustā€, individually. Then you can make a new instance of the ā€œApple Pieā€ composite and one of that instanceā€™s two notes will have the ā€œFruitā€ prototype and the other the ā€œCrustā€ prototype.

So, ā€œcan I quickly generate composites from a prototypeā€. No. But you can quickly add a composite from a previously defined composite. (The ā€œApple Pieā€ composite needs to be located in /Composites, as you know.)

Composites and prototypes are two separate concepts.

3 Likes

The preceding is absolutely correct. There is a possible solution (just tested) if you are happy that the composite is a child of the note using a prototype. This occurs because when a note is given a prototype the note also inherits, by default**, the prototypeā€™s children and these can include composites.

My test used the built-in ā€˜listā€™ composite as a child of my test prototype. When a note was then set to use that prototype the note gained a list composite, the compositeā€™s items being children of the note. This method canā€™t be used to make a composite that is a sibling of the note.

** see more on prototypes ā€˜bequeathingā€™ their children.

1 Like

Well, yes and no. Yes, because the note you to which you assign the prototype (with its composited children) does indeed itself gain a child ā€œcompositeā€. But this doesnā€™t work like ā€œnormalā€ compositing. Letā€™s say you have made the ā€œApple Pieā€ composite I mentioned above. And you make that ā€œApple Pieā€ composite into a child of a note ā€œDesertā€, and finally make ā€œDesertā€ into a prototype. You can, as suggested, assign the ā€œDesertā€ prototype to another note. But in this case, the composited child it gains that way is no longer an ā€œApple Pieā€ composite. It looks like it is, but doesnā€™t inherit the ā€œApple Pieā€ name and a few other attributes.

[ā€¦ after re-learning how to bequeath prototyped childrenā€¦]

So:

File is here: Protocomposite1.tbx (76.3 KB)

Iā€™m not sure if this does exactly what the OP wants, but I think itā€™s as close as we can get. Iā€™ve reported the non-naming of bequeather composites, I suspect that issue isnā€™t intentional and will likely get fixed.

Ah, silly me ā€” somehow I totally missed how named composites can be created (by putting them under /Composites container), but thatā€™s exactly what I needed. I just wanted a quick way to create a group of notes with different shapes and colors while maintaining their relative positions. For some reason, I thought I had to go the prototype routeā€¦

Thanks for your help and effort!

1 Like

Four years later, but thanks !

I definitely had this confusion about differentiating Composites and Prototypes, and I feel others would too, your post helped clear things up!

1 Like