Does TB8 fits my needs before I buy a macbook

It appears you removed the $Author2 attributed from Key Attributes. But that action does not remove the attribute or its value from the note – the action merely hides the attribute from view in the KA table. You will need to remove the “Lavoisier” value from $Author2 in order for the note not to appear in the agent results.

1 Like

This issue above is a narrower noe - and not arguing against dynamism & discovery. Originally, each update cycle refreshed the agent’s map and in doing so re-sorted it. If the user wants to use the dynamism of the agent query finding the right things but also further working that map, the user ends up fighting the agent or having to turn it off. The re-sorting of the map isn’t a necessity, but just how things started out.

The addition of the $CleanupAction (c. v5 if I recall) allows some flex. IOW, the status quo remains and in most cases the agent just refreshes the map as it sees fit. For those who want to work that map the option exists to turn off the clean-up (i.e. auto-re-sorting of the map). I assume that there is some extra work for the app or likely the new feature would have been a change as opposed to a new option.

1 Like

Sure – I wasn’t really replying to the narrow issue – merely allowing myself to ponder about the general philosophy of using the program. But I acknowledge that Tinderbox offers a heck of a lot of options, and the way I think about it may be opposite to someone else’s view. And I suppose I found myself wondering if producing a static view using Agents was the best way of doing things. But now I know that it is possible, it adds yet another tool to the box. Cheers! Martin.

1 Like

Thanks all of you guys for your help. I decided to go for a macbook pro and Tinderbox!

2 Likes

A few questions about a few things I did not manage to do yet:

1. It seems that clicks on bottom link stub of my notes do not work. Is it due to trial version? or maybe VM? Or did I missed something?

2. I want to draw a link between nodes stored in separate containers. I guess I have to use the “parking space” but I did not manage to figure out how to use (reading this).

1. Is it possible to add an action to the agent that could automatically apply a link created between aliases to their originals?

Which stub:

Untitled%202019-11-20%2014-55-01

#1 is for creating links. Click and drag to start a link, drop onto the target note or a link park.

#2 is an inbound stub. Click the numbered circle to see a pop-up list of inbound links from links from other maps. Click on an item in the pop-up list to select that note in the text pane. Note: _the map does not shift to the newly select note’s map.

or
Untitled%202019-11-20%2015-07-24

#3, as #2 but for outbound links.

An up to date reference for that link is here. The process is in 2 parts:

1. Drag a link from the selected note (see #1 in the first screen grab above) and drop it onto the link park on the tab bar:

1. Now change the view so that the target note for the link is visible, i.e. scrool the map or move to a different map. Click on the link park and drag out a link dropping it on the target note.

If successful you will see the link creation pop-up, like below, which lets you complete creating the link:

An action? Yes, see linkToOriginal() but note this action can’t be triggered by a manually linked drag.

1 Like

If you have more questions, can you please start a new thread for each discrete question. It makes it simpler to treat the questions separately and helps leader readers find answers to the same question. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the #3 one. Just clicking (as I do with #1 stub) and no pop up menu.

Odd. The feature pre-dates v8.0.0 and certainly works here in v8.1.1 on macOS 10.14.6.

Are you still running in an emulator? That might be an issue.

Nice! Without wanting to preempt things, but there will be a possibility (not a guarantee by any means) that in the early days you will think you have made the wrong choice with both. If that happens, I can almost promise you that sticking with them will pay off very well. The Mac is a beautiful system, and Tinderbox is beautiful software. Getting to know both is well worth it, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Unfortunately updates have dried out at 8.0.6. Either way…document is in your mailbox.