Help needed to diagnose poor performance of TB file

How odd this topic of map move should arrive a a question thread, luckily after I’d just figured the answer. Anyway, you might find this post of use to see.

Thank you very much, @mwra. The description of the procedure in the post you linked to captures exactly what I did, and I can witness it worked like a charmstamp… I wrote a similar description — but in my own words — in a note that I put in my own Tinderbox help file, which also is a Tinderbox file — à la Howard Oakley. Thank you very much again for all your help!

Best regards,
Enrico

1 Like

Some additional good news: careful analysis of your specific document revealed two previously-unknown bottlenecks.

First, Tinderbox was working harder than it should have in order to determine whether the “dog-ear” that indicates that a note has text should be drawn. The old method was fast enough for most tasks, but in this zoomed-out map with dozens or hundreds of notes, it all added up. (The big images discussed above didn’t help.)

Second, Tinderbox was beginning work to display the text of some notes, only to discover that there was not enough space to draw the text. It’s much faster in this situation to see whether there’s clearly insufficient space, or if there’s actually no text to be drawn (see above).

So, the next release will be a little sprightlier for this sort of map view.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, @eastgate, for following up on that! As mentioned above, the revised file — modified according to all the suggestions above — is already much faster to open and to work with than the original. Nevertheless, I do look forward to the next release. Thanks you very much again.

Best regards,
Enrico

1 Like