Linking (multiple) notes using the keyboard in map view (TB 6.4.)

You’ll need to recreate the stamps in each document you make. The solution to that is to make a standard document, containing your favorite stamps, etc., and put that document in ~/Library/Application Support/Tinderbox/favorites so that it’s always available – as a starting point for new documents – in File > Open Favorites.

(I’m avoiding calling that document a “template” or “prototype” for obvious reasons.)

2 Likes

As much as I love that both “Single link target” and “Multiple link target” work just perfectly, I’m not certain whether I already understood the difference between the two ways as the obvious effect seems to be the same.

Could kindly elaborate on this for a non-coder mind like me.

Thank you!

Single link links every selected note to one note. If the selection is A, B and C and the target is Z, then A B & C all link to Z, i.e. 3 new links are created. In the multiple scenario the targets are X, Y and Z, the A links to X Y and Z as do B and C so now 9 (3 x 3) new links are created. Which you use depends on which the user’s current need.

Thanks for your quick response.

So it seems that I am doing something wrong; because the effect (as I called it before) for me in either scenario is the same, i.e. always resulting in a linking from several selected notes (in your example: A, B, C) to one (!) note (was in your example: Z) but never linking from one note (in your example: A) to the other notes (in your example: X, Y, Z).

I guess I have to start over and see if I made some mistakes.

But maybe you or another board-member could provide a video - which, of course, would help me as well as it might help other users coming across this very interesting “feature” at some later point in time.

Thank you very much!

The direction of the link is set by use of linkTo(), by all means substitute linkFrom() if you want the links in a different direction i.e. X → Y vs. Y → X.

To restate my example above. Single results in A->Z, B->Z and C->Z.

Multiple results in A->X, A->Y, A->Z, B->X

In both cases, note that linkTo() will not add additional (duplicate) links if a link of the desired (here, untitled) type already exists. Thus if A were linked to Z already and then the single link stamp were used on A, B and C only 2 new links would be created (B->Z, C->Z) as the A->Z link is already extant.

A demo of the above is here: corrected file/URL (see further below): http://www.acrobatfaq.com/tbdemos/stamp-linker1.zip.

Please read the ‘README’ note in the TBX before use. Kudos to @PaulWalters for the idea (upthread). I’ve simply rounded it out, generalised the procedure and placed it in a demo file as it appears that just a textual description isn’t clear enough as guidance. Enjoy!

1 Like

Thank you ever so much, @mwra

However, the example-file (“stamp-link.tbx”) you kindly provided (thank your for this, too!), unfortunately did not work on my end.

What eventually worked, however, was replacing all "Namer"with "/Utilities/Namer" within the respective stamps.

To explain what I did:

1. either: replacing "Namer" with "/Namer" in all the stamps (would already be sufficient if “Namer”-note were on root-level);

2. or: replacing "Namer" with "/Utilities/Namer" in all the stamps (now it works with the stamp-link.tbx-file @mwra provided … at least for me … but likely not the way @mwra intended?)

Proceeding as described above I, however, find /Z in MyString instead of Z.

Could you, @mwra, and all the other users interested take another look at this and, if needed, update the stamp-link.tbx accordingly.

Again, thank you very much.

andreas

Gah, phone call distraction made me zip/upload the wrong version. Correct version at http://www.acrobatfaq.com/tbdemos/stamp-linker1.zip. In checking, I’ve now also moved the test notes into a folder too so the map of test notes has no back-of-curtain stuff on it. I’ve also added a note how to re-use. The download URL is tweaked to ensure the new file is fetched.

So, thank you, @openmedi, for getting this all started, thank you, @pat and @PaulWalters , for pointing at a viable and fruitful direction, and thank you, @mwra, for your elegant refinement.

1 Like