Literature Review with Tinderbox

One point that is probably not your problem, but might be useful to address at some point.

1. Rather than testing
$Name(parent)=="Synthesis Map"

consider using inside(/path/to/Synthesis Map). The latter is potentially more efficient, and has some advantages for the semantics of aliases.

Also (from brief scan-not time to test ATM) the Synthesis Map agent is off, so the agent action wonā€™t be firing. If Evidence 6ā€™s ā€˜Opposesā€™ link was added after the item was added to the agent map, I donā€™t think we expect the agent action (IOW, the agent OnAdd equivalent) to fire until the agent is active again.

If you donā€™t want agent updateā€™s to re-organise the agent map, see Re-arrangeable Agent Maps.

I think you are acting accordingly but Iā€™d note to be aware aliases may have different basic (i.e. note-to-note) links than their original.

Thanks!

This is really helpful and intriguing, Arek. Thank you for sharing your extensive work and process with us.

Marianne

I wonder if a tag or two could help to keep this post from getting lost? I see thereā€™s one for ā€œtemplatesā€ā€“maybe also ā€œcase studyā€? (Iā€™m the last person to suggest tags: I have far too many overlapping ones in my own work!)

1 Like

Hey there, couple

BTW, I looked at a few of your functions. I see that youā€™ve named them an ā€œedict,ā€ ā€œrule,ā€ or ā€œaction.ā€

I fear this might confuse some people. Functions are action codes that can be used as edicts, rules or actions; they need to be specifically named in this way.

Also, you have several note names with the term ā€œlinked.ā€ I would expect these actions to perform link operations when in fact, they do not. They are simply provided associates by basing values from one note to another.

1 Like

I added a couple of tags to the thread, but good ideas can get lost in tags just as with anything else.

I strongly suggest for anyone interested in a given post or thread, that the ā€œbookmarkā€ feature in Discourse is excellent.

Click the three dots in the tools at the bottom of a post, and then click the bookmark icon

Youā€™ll have several options -ā€“ choose a reminder or choose ā€œnone neededā€ to make a permanent bookmark for yourself.

When you want to find your bookmarked topic, click your person-icon and choose the bookmark icon again.

4 Likes

OMG!

This is way too much work, but interesting.

I basically batch add bibliographic info into DevonThink for each note from a text, then I just drag the files to TB.

There, I have in a container propositions with adornments which add a statement such as verifies, denies, etc. I drag notes there.

Iā€™m going to have to take a closer look at your work, but for someone like meā€¦ Iā€™ll throw my computer out the window!

I also add

2 Likes

Iā€™ve lately changed my workflow substantially. Iā€™m planning to update this topic as soon as I have some spare time :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks. I think we all appreciate the work that goes into documenting (and updating) a process for others to be able ā€˜justā€™ useā€”even if some effort is required. Some things do take a bit of effort.

1 Like

One additional area that could be considered in the design of this model, could be to add a prototype, pAssumption which could represent notes that are assumptions.

Tom

2 Likes

Hi ShiJianhui

Just curious, are you still using / developing this discourse graph? Has anything changed. It has become quite the hit and was even mentioned by Joel Chan in his meetup.

Did you get a chance to watch it?

All the best,
Tom

1 Like