Memory Palace Example

I think we may possibly start a new thread for flash card aspect of this project as discrete from the separate memory palace task (even if the two are effected in the same TBX).

1 Like

Really good Mark, nice job. Well done.
Tom

2 Likes

Thanks. I think that, given recent improvements to the preview interface, i think that might be better. Now Iā€™ve figured a logic for ensuring repetition of all items N times per cycle, I think a template with a JavaScript action to show/hide the answer might be a better way to go.

Much of the unseen problems I tripped on for the last examples is that altering attributes triggering an edict is a curse as well as a blessing. IOW, events the I didnā€™t think important the app did and triggered a edict call with results ā€¦ I didnā€™t want. Not the appsā€™ fault, i hasten to add, but all part of exploring possibilities. Iā€™d be frank that trying to make an experience link Anki out of Tinderbox is an exercise in laziness. Better, IMO, would be to export the data to an app focussed on the flash card experience. But, that wasnā€™t the challenge.

For instance, Anki (free/open) has an import format for Question/Answer data that Tinderbox can easily generate. Iā€™m sure there are alternatives to Anki. I only mention it as itā€™s just the example of the app type of which I know.

The real lesson here is the diminishing returns of trying to use an app for a purpose for which it isnā€™t intentionally designed because weā€™re too lazy to shift app focus to a different app for a specific task. Letā€™s be honest, it is laziness. We can confect all sorts of excuses about ā€˜being in the flowā€™, etc., but Iā€™m unconvinced itā€™s anything but self-serving. Itā€™s not that I havenā€™t found the exercise above interesting. Far from it, Iā€™ve learned a lot about triggering of events in Tinderbox, variable scope/persistence, and such. But mainly Iā€™ve learned that building a racing car out of scrap-at-hand when youā€™ve already got real one, for free, sitting on the drive, is self-defeating. Plus, unless you use flashcards in Tinderbox by running full screen in preview mode how are you hiding other distractions? Isnā€™t that part of the process? Doing flash cards whilst scanning Twitter, email, etcā€¦ might not be the learning we intended.

Iā€™m duly reminded at how bad we humans are at getting lost in the immediate context and not evaluating it in the wider context.

TL;DR. Iā€™d build the mind palace in Tinderbox and probably export the flash card data to an app designed for the task. also, if doing mind palace work and with an Oculus 2, Iā€™d check out Noda and SoftSpace. again Tinderbox can generate data such apps could consume. We tend to get stuck in the data-roach model model. Data comes into the app but never leaves. Ironic, as Tinderbox export process is very powerful.