Next Tinderbox release - a suggestion

Can I ask something that (if I remember correctly) came up in the weekendly meetings, but I could not find on the forum?
Since (I think) the Tinderbox 9.5.2 release there has been some new functionality (according to the “What’s new?” info box), namely that one can

• assign prototypes with # in the note name
  • assign places with @ in the note name

I would ask whether the next release could make that behaviour optional (e.g. with a preference setting per document)?

Two days ago, I tried to create a number of references to Bookmarks records into Tinderbox, and was driven crazy by Tinderbox’s refusal to accept my input. It would rewrite the note name all the time, and I did not understand why.

Turns out that the reason was my Bookends citation format was something like [@Edinger2022], and I only realised the reason for TBX’s behaviour after wondering for a while why the (automatically changed) notes would have Displayed Attributes of latitude and longitude - it was Tinderbox trying to be helpful.

I am sure this shorthand notation can be really helpful, but for some of us this can collide with established notations we use for our own ends, so making that a choice rather than standard behaviour might be a good idea, @eastgate!

1 Like

It’s already there, in Document Settings!

I’m curious about your Bookends settings. My Bookends placeholders look like “{Bernstein and McMorris, 2022, #71410}”.

1 Like

Ooops… Sorry, Mark! Thanks for solving my problem immediately :man_facepalming:t2:

As to my Bookends settings, they’re geared towards writing in Markdown. All this can be set in the “Formats Manager” (one of the more impenetrable parts of Bookends and one where I seem to be able to often - unconsciously - create havoc with my formats…).

The name-scanning feature is described here. But how would you know to look there? Well…

For each public release within a baseline (e.g. v9.5.1, v9.5.2 on the v9.5.0 baseline) loo at Change Log and then the latest release: v9.5.2b606 (28 Feb 2023)

Pages like the latter are actually agents. The first big textual section are things from release notes that i felt didn’t warrant editing into specific notes (e.g/. fixes to bug). However new or altered features gain to edit a note. All such notes are noted in the source TBX in user attribute $ChangeRefSet which leads to the list of links at the bottom of the page. Scroll down, and…

I totally accept that any given user might not immediately match a not title to the feature they are after. But, if there was a change it is either in the text part or in one of the link notes so even if you have to look at 3 or 4 I don’t thinking it’s too hard to find. Note: doing a human-made index would likely be as big a job as writing the articles so would need another person, with indexing expertise and a lot of spare time (no takers yet!).

Anyway, HTH and lays bare how I (as aTbRef author) try and signpost new content for everyone. I’m always open to tractable ideas as to how to improve things (within the person-power/skill available).

Many thanks, Mark! One more insight into the miracle that is aTbRef.

1 Like

Thanks. One other useful note if searching for a topic: the aTbRef Site Map. Essentially, you are looking at the exported outline of content. You don’t need to know/remember the outline but as all pages are listed doing Cmd+F in your web browser and searching for a (partial) word you think should in the title of notes of interest, it can act as a sort of index as each item on the page is a link to that page.

2 Likes