Question about copying attributes between notes and quickly adding values to attributes

Hi all.

I have two questions:

1. I have a note that I exported from DEVONthink.
    I’m splitting it into several notes using Explode.
    How can I make the received notes have the same attributes as the exported note?
    I know it can be done with prototype, but it seems like making a prototype of each exported note is not the best idea.

2. I partially assign some attributes to notes and I have to click in the attribute field and write the text there. So I have to take my hands off the keyboard all the time.
    Is there any way to add a value to the attribute (perhaps using hotkeys or a macro) without having to use the mouse.

If you haven’t seen it already, take a look at my article on Exploding Notes.

#1. If you don’t want to use the Exploded Notes prototype, then add code like this to your Explode dialog’s Action box. for instance, the following will make every exploded note (a) have the same $MyString as the source note and (b) MyString will be set a Displayed Attribute.

#2. [Tab]+[Opt] (+) shortcut toggles focus: $Text → first Displayed Attribute → view pane → $Text → etc. Once in the Displayed Attributes table use Up arrow () or Down arrow () keys to select the desired table item. Click Return (:leftwards_arrow_with_hook:) to put the selected row in edit mode. Once the value is edited, click Return (:leftwards_arrow_with_hook:) and the next item (below) in the table is selected. For more on shortcuts see the Reverse Look-up Map and for more on the Displayed Attributes table see Displayed Attributes table.

1 Like

Dear Mark, thank you for your help.
I’ve read your article “Exploding Notes” and to be honest I don’t understand how not to make the URL attribute of the exploded note have the same value as the original one.

OK, in the explode Action box set this code:

$URL=$URL(grandparent);$DisplayedAttributes="URL";

Thus:

But, you might ask, why use the ‘grandparent’ designator in the code? Well, consider:

See mote on the hierarchical relationships in TBX. These apply whatever view you are working in as the Outline view also represents how the TBX document data is stored.

1 Like

Dear Mark, once again, thank you so much for your help!

1 Like