$Text often contains special characters like carriage return or font style information. Is there way to see this the actual string

$Text often contains special characters like carriage return or font style information etc. This affects some views. Is there way to see the the actual string and delete or replace the characters that mess the view.

I’m not sure I follow you.

$Text will contain return characters, of course, if the text contains paragraph breaks. There’s not much that’s “special” about these end-of-line characters. (If you need to refer to this character in string-manipulation actions, it’s represented as \n.)

$Text doesn’t contain any font style information.

The only other “special” character you might encounter in $Text is the image placeholder, which is conventional character code \x01.

I may misunderstand your conundrum!

Mark, thank you for reply. My problem is when pasting information from other sources to Note. There is styling, font sizes, background colour. Somehow this information is in $Text. Several times I couldn’t get rid of background color, or understand where there is a paragraph or just a line break. This interferes with proper exploding notes. What is the best way to clean the imported text when there is need?

When pasting from another source, you may prefer to use Edit ▸ Paste And Match Style (⇧⌥⌘-C).

In Tinderbox notes, line breaks and paragraph breaks are pretty much the same thing.

If you want to remove a background color you don’t want, use Format ▸ Style ▸ Highlight ▸ none.

Mark, thank you for reply. I still don’t get where the information about styling is stored. I imported a web page as it is. How can I get rid of all styling. Not choosing Paste to match style, but afterwards when I have already pasted as it is. The reason for this is that I want to keep maximum information from web page but use only text information for creating new notes using the explode option.

Maybe this script can prove to be useful to you.

Format ▸ Style ▸ Standard Font (^⌥⌘-T) resets the font, text color, background color, and indentation.

Format ▸ Style ▸ Standard Size (⇧⌘-T) resets the text size.