Tinderbox Meetup: FINDING AND MOVING INFORMATION WITH Tinderbox (Nov 6)

Tinderbox notes can help organize themselves, and can help you stay in touch with your information as it grows and changes.

Right now, I happen to be writing a chapter for a big volume a friend is editing. I’m using Tinderbox to keep track of reading notes, and especially to build the bibliography. Every source, it seems, suggests two or three new books or articles that sound fascinating! Tinderbox helps manage all the notes, and lets me set priorities for what to read next. I have a container of sources I want to read that I manually arrange by priority, and an agent that presents all the sources in alphabetical order so it’s easy to find the one I want to discuss.

Because so many promising sources are emerging, I’m also anxious about the deadline. So, I added a note that reminds me how much time is left. It updates itself every day.

Tinderbox actions let you build notes like this that keep you informed. Knowing where you stand relieves unproductive anxiety and helps you focus on what matters.

t this week’s Tinderbox meetup, I’ll be taking a look at Tinderbox tools for extracting information from your notes. We’ll start with tasks like the “Days Remaining” note, and explore how you can add your own.

Then, we’ll have a first look at some upcoming new Tinderbox tools for extracting information from your notes.

This meetup is especially recommended for beginners.

Plus: your projects and your questions!

FINDING AND MOVING INFORMATION WITH TINDERBOX
Time: Saturday November 6, 2021 Noon Eastern Time (US and Canada)

9 AM Pacific Time
Noon Eastern time
1300 São Paulo
1600 UTC
1700 London
1800 Paris
2130 Dehli

Zoom link for the meetup

Hello,
I’ve been into Tinderbox for a while but couldn’t quite find my way around it. That is why its use has stood still for a while. I’ve only just started to delve into Tinderbox again and that’s why this meetup seems very interesting to me. Unfortunately it’s isn’t possible for me to attend on Saturday. Is it possible to view the meetup at a later time?

Yes: we try to record all the meetups. Mark Bernstein’s Videos on Vimeo

Nice! Thanks :smiley:

Chat for today posted to the meet-up listing and here as well: meeting_saved_chat.txt.zip (2.2 KB)

Thinking on the tail end of today and discussions of how much/too much when ingesting data, it might be useful to post here or perhaps in new thread(s) links to sources you think you might want to ‘read’ into Tinderbox. I might help inform late-stage testing of the upcoming features Mark B demo-ed for us today.

1 Like

File for today’s presentation:
Tinderbox Moving Information.tbx (216.7 KB)

2 Likes

The video for yesterday is here and all (video/chat/etc.) is on the meet-ups listings.

Thanks much for an enlightening and articulated vision of info-dynamics! Rolling up my sleeves this afternoon to dig into the examples on the project file, learning the syntax and application of action code.

Content drops into my Tinderbox projects from a few sources:

• Drafts
  • Taskpaper
  • Safari (and increasingly, Chrome) URLs, content, and google search results
  • Numbers / CSV / spreadsheets

The bits of content I usually need to drag in along with are:

• the note text
  • timestamp
  • any tags I might have created or imported with some pre-tagged data
  • maybe the location, but not really
  • Most other bits are manageable via the Tagger and Dictionary features now, yay.

Other things I import are mainly links:

• html links to pages, images, and so on
  • links to local files (done via path)

Hope this is useful!

2 Likes