Tinderbox Training Video 40 - Working session - building an industry map with Tom Diaz

Tinderbox Training Video - Working session - building an industry map with Tom Diaz

Level Beginner
Published Date 4/1/21
Tags 4CKMEl, 4Cs of Knowledge Management and Exchange, Action Code, Action Links, Agent Agent Query, Agentss, Edicts, Prototypes, Tinderbox, aTbRef, collect()
Video Length 01:20:29
Video URL Tinderbox Lesson - Industry Mapping Working Session with Tom Diaz - YouTube
Example File TBX L - Industry Mapping with Tom Diaz.tbx (153.9 KB)
Revision 1
TBX Version 8.9
Instructor Michael Becker
Acknowledgements Tom Diaz @TomD

In this lesson, Tom Diaz and I start the build of an industry analysis file in Tinderbox, from scratch. The ultimate goal of this file is to collect notes on an industry, including companies, products, features, trends, notes, thoughts, and ideas. This file is not complete. The beauty of this lesson is that it demonstrates how quickly you can go from nothing to structure to insights.

This is an unedited working session. In this session, you’ll get to see our thinking come to life, our incremental formalization, and our mistakes. You’ll see how we incrementally work through it all, including addressing our mistakes.

Starting with a blank Tinderbox file, we collect notes and ideas. While we talk we formalizing our structure. We build containers and setup prototypes. We create user attributes to help with categorizing and organizing our notes. We apply action code in Edicts to transform data using Regex and collect() commands. We also use action code in link actions and show how to move data from one note to another. And, we build a lookup list within a universal configuration note. Finally, it all starts coming together when we create agents and search for data, in this case, the products associated with a company.

Again, this is a simple starter lesson, but it is packed with valuable teacher moments and tips for your own work. You can take the initial lessons and build off of them. We only got to connecting products to organizations. I encourage you to start building off this file yourself. You can create a feature, benefit, and use case prototype, and then add features, benefits, and use case notes. You can then link benefits to features, features to products, more products to organizations, products to use cases. You can add and link people. You can add more attributes to capture more insight. You can capture industry stats and news. Later, you can add dashboards, templates, and reporting (topics for a future lesson).

All this works. For example, I have a Tinderbox where I’ve mapped 560 companies in the personal information management and cybersecurity industries. I’ve index over 400 products, 300 features, and countless insights. One thing you find from the exercise is how similar everyone’s products are. This tool has become an invaluable asset to my business.

Most importantly, we hope you have fun with this. Please let us know if you have any questions.

TBX L - Industry Mapping with Tom Diaz

2 Likes