Tinderbox Training Video - Turning on toolbars and navigating the menus

Level Fundamental
Published Date 12/29/20
TBX Version 8.9
Tags Tinderbox, Note Taking, aTbRef
Video Length 03:23
URL Tinderbox - Turning on toolbars and navigating the menus - YouTube
Example File N/A

In this lesson, I explain how to get orientated with a new Tinderbox file. Specifically, I provide a quick overview of how to turn on three useful toolbars within Tinderbox: Toolbar, Ruler, and Text Pane Selector, and explain how to navigate the menus.

TBXLTurningToolbarsOnandOff

Reference materials

Please rate this lesson, did you find it useful?
    • :grinning:
    • :neutral_face:
    • :confused:

0 voters

2 Likes

Nice. Thank you.

I suggest a follow-on “Part B” video might explain how to save – and later use – a document (that you’ve set up the way you like to start documents) as a “starting point” document in “favorites”.

Unfortunately Tinderbox does not persist in showing the toolbar in documents – it needs to be reopened in every document, every time the document is opened.

Mark thanks for the useful thread layout.

I think @PaulWalters’ suggestion of a part B (in due course!) covering how to do in-doc and extra-doc customisation in a persistent sense: prototype, stamps, customised start files, use of favourites.

For people who from whatever reason don’t like defaults (and we all have pet peeves about which others care not), such an extra level of customisation is really useful as once done, little needs to be retained in immediate (‘how do I’ memory just to get to one’s desired start configuration. IOW, cutting down mis-en-place before one gets to actual work. Of course such info is add-on to the basics which is rightly the bases you are covering at present.

1 Like

Very well done videos. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Hello,
I just started with your video on prototypes. That’s where I was completely lost. I can see that I will be able to follow your explanations. Thank you so much. It will take me a time to get through the videos, so if you don’t hear from me, it does not mean that I am not working on them. I was about to give up on the power of TBX. Now I am back for the longterm.
Thank you,
Ellen Madono

2 Likes

Hi Michael, I noticed your tutorials on YouTube yesterday after seeing one video I immediately subscribed to your channel. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with TBX!!! You are making an huge difference in understanding TBX.

2 Likes

A very useful, simple, and straightforward intro to some tools & windows. Actually I’ve been wondering for weeks how to get the links to show in what I thought was the “text box” window. :frowning: Now I know. :slight_smile: Thanks!

2 Likes

I finally understand the difference between equal and equal equal. :grinning:

1 Like

Ya, this took me forever to get as well.

For those that don’t understand the point being raised, here it is. When you’re running action code there you can use “=” and “==”.

You use “=” when you want to assign the value of the argument to the right side of the equation to the attribute on the left side of the equation. For example, $Text="Hello World." would make the value of the note’s text “Hello World.” Or $Name=$Name+" "($Created.format("l"))", would change the name of the note to EXISTING NAME (DATE). IOW, if the note’s name was “This Note” and you created it on 3/14/21, after applying this action code (via a Stamp, Rule, Edict, OnAdd or Link Action) the note’s name would be transformed to “This Note (3/14/21)”.

As for the double equal “==” this is a logical test, e.g. does the left side of the equation equal the value of the right side. For example, let’s say you want to run a query but you only want to return aliases. You could say $IsAlias==true. Or, if you wanted to only get the notes that were assigned with a specific prototype you could say $Prototype=="Person", which in an agent would only return those notes with the prototype person. If you wanted to combine the two arguments you could, e.g. $Prototype=="Person"$IsAlias==true. This would return all the notes that are assigned to the person prototype and that are aliases. If you did not want the aliases, instead of == you’d use !=, which means is not, e.g. $IsAlias!=true. Note, you don’t need to quote true or false, but all other equality arguments you do need to quote. For instance, $HeadingDepth=="1" would be the correct way to test if the value of the`$HeadingDepth attribute for a given note was equal to 1.