Tinderbox Training Video 53 - Working with Markdown and Templates in Tinderbox

Tinderbox Training Video - Working with Markdown and Templates in Tinderbox

Level Intermediate
Published Date 6/23/21
Type
Tags 4CKMEl, 4Cs of Knowledge Management and Exchange, CommonMark, HTML, Markdown, Pandoc, Tinderbox, aTbRef
Video Length 27:36
Video URL Tinderbox Training - Working with Markdown and templates in Tinderbox - YouTube
Example File TBX L - Working with Markdown and Templates in Tinderbox.tbx (152.5 KB)
TBX Version 9
Instructor Michael Becker
Acknowledgements Bernardo Vasconcelos @Bernard-0

In this lesson, I explain how to work with markdown notation in Tinderbox.

NOTICE: This lesson requires Tinderbox 9, as Tinderbox 9 has adopted the CommonMark markdown processing standard.

Markdown is a convenient method for creating stylized, human-readable, notes that can easily be rendered into HTML and other formats. I provide a detailed contrast to HTML and show how the two notation methods can lead to the same result, both in terms of an HTML Preview in Tinderbox but also an exported file. Which is better, markdown or HTML? The answer is, it depends. It depends on what you’re trying to accomplish and what you’ll be using your notes for.

One important thing to note about markdown is that it is relatively young and there is no universally accepted standard for its notation and how to render it. The most common notations, like headings and bullets, are pretty consistent across flavors of markdown, but the notations for handling image sizing, footnotes, citation notation, etc., can vary. In this training, I demonstrate how two different rending methods, CommonMark and Pandoc can lead to different results. Again, which is better? As above, the answer is it depends. CommonMark is the default markdown engine within Tinderbox. If you want to use Pandoc, and all is transformation capability, you’ll need to install additional open-source software and learn a variety of new syntaxes (it’s not hard, but if you’re not familiar with the command line it could take some time and training to get familiar).

This lesson is a wonderful example of the flexibility that Tinderbox affords you, you can take command of your material. Enjoy!

Acknowledgment: BTW, huge thanks to Bernardo Vasconcelos who has helped me with Markdown and Pandoc.

TBX L - Working with Markdown and templates in Tinderbox

You’re Invited To Be My Patron:
A lot goes into creating these training videos. If you’re getting value from these videos and are open to supporting my efforts, I respectfully ask that you consider becoming one of my patrons by making a monthly contribution. :pray: https://www.patreon.com/tinderboxcourses?fan_landing=true :pray:

6 Likes