Trace back to an aliases original note

Other than the “Show Original” option, is there way to view the details of the original note an alias is related to, e.g. the original note’s ID number. Is there an attribute I can look at for this. I need to see the original note ID and path to verify the relationship and opening up the “Shoe Orginal” is too inefficient for what I’m trying to do.

Also, is there a way to find all alias that are referencing an original note?

$MyString = $ID(original);
$MyString2 = $Path(original);
$MyList = find($Name=="XXX"&$IsAlias==true);

find() doesn’t de dupe, so finds all matchers, so you filter out the original; find() returns a list of paths… The “XXX” could be a literal. If using an attribute value from the current note running the code use the that designator, e.g.

$MyList = find($Name==$MyString(that)&$IsAlias==true);

If doing this in the note whose aliases you seek:

$MyList = find($Name==$Name(that)&$IsAlias==true);
1 Like

Thanks, this useful as an action code exercise, but is there a system attribute that holds the alias relationship to the original note? If not, I can create a user attribute.

This helped. Thanks.

Ah. I think I forgot $Aliases. No first version number on the page so in the app pre v8.

Clearly I’ve not looked at this for a while as I see a typo. :unamused:

1 Like

Thanks. In the article you note this:

“This information is seldom if ever necessary for normal use. If you need to rely on $Aliases, consider whether a different approach might be better.”

Why would it not be necessary? What would be a better path than using Aliases?

My use case is that I want to keep a common list of variables and then use them across different data maps. Would love to review this with you to see if you think there might be a better approach.

Err, yes! This page tells me it was added for the v8.0.0 release and in turn the text you reference is taken verbatim from the release note, so perhaps one for @eastgate in today’s meet-up?