Trouble with $Sentiment

I have difficulty to get this to work, $Sentiments just shows “0”. Is there any settings in macOS that is needed in order for this to work. (In this case I’m using Michael Beckers Training Video no 56 as an example)

As a side note, I managed to get tagging to work but it requires saving the project, exit Tinderbox and restart Tinderbox in order for the tag to appear. Unfortunately this procedure have no effect on the $Sentiment

I’m using a M1 iMac 24" 2021 on Ventura 13.3.1

Just to be sure, your document is in English? And what is the dominant language on your Macintosh? (Sentiment analysis is only available in a limited number of languages.)

Finally, which version of Tinderbox are you using?

My initial test used my standard setup, which is Swedish (Settings->General->Language and Region). I noted that changing the setup to USA and English and re-booting the computer makes the Sentinel system working again. Assuming that this is the required settings in my case.

I’m using Version 9.5.2 (b606).

FWIW: Sentiment Analysis

If anyone has the list of 7 supported languages, i’ll happily list them above.

I assume the ‘limited’ language support is whether a given language has a big enough digital corpus of work and whether big tech has yet spent $MM on the LLMs needed. English—indeed American English—speakers are privileged at the front of the queue here only because that’s where much (not all!) of modern computers started and so much tech/code is English-centric (plus there is a large(r) market). Not fair, but where we are.

This Apple Developer docs page Identifying the language in text suggests 6 of the 7 are: French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese.

Thank you for the answer, I thought it was something like this. I don’t understand why Swedish is not that popular.

I understand share the disappointment at the seemingly arbitrary divisions here of haves and have-nots, though they are not of Tinderbox’s making. We got Unicode only to find we’ve a new digital linguistic divide we didn’t expect or vote for.

Tinderbox, in English, gives the above a $Sentiment of -1.

I tried $Text: “My hovercraft is full of eels” → $Sentiment -0.6000000238

Then $Text: “Min svävare är full med ål” → $Sentiment -0.6000000238 (albeit en-GB locale in OS settings)

Then again $Text: "Ooh, I do like a bit of Wensleydale. → $Sentiment -0.8000000119

Ouch. That does seem rather harsh on a good Yorkshire cheese, but maybe it’s a Br:E vs. Am:E thing. I think the state of the art is that computers can just about tell us teenagers often have negative sentiments. But, I’m sure it will get better. As the underlying OS system improves, Tinderbox will reflect that and hopefully in more languages, too!

Thank you for testing this.
I think, but far from sure, that the problem is that you computer has to be booted up with a recognised setting. Starting the computer with region Sweden seems to prevent the $Sentiment to work.
I will do some more tests on this assumption tomorrow.

And BTW eel is a sensitive (political) word in the present day Swedish language and having a full load of them might be problematic.

1 Like

Well, that’s embarrassing and I give unreserved apology for any insult arising, even if unintended. The source of the matter is Monty Python’s Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook. Apologies too to any Hungarians here who might assume that title disparaging (spoiler: the root of the joke is about the English (British) not understanding other languages).

Aside, in terms of a corpus of digital text, the Swedish Wikipedia is 4th largest Wikipedia, so it isn’t like there isn’t text for AI to work on.

Just joking, here is the reference to eel-debacle PM Nilsson: Det var så pinsamt – det låste sig.

1 Like