Typeface change when applying both Markdown prototype and Markdown highlighter

Dear Tinderbox users,

I wonder whether you experience a similar behavior in Tinderbox 9.6.0 on MacOS Monterey 12.6.9.

1. In a new Tinderbox file, I create a note with the following text:

# Header 1

## Header 2

## Header 3

**Bold**

*Italics*

The typeface of the text is Mercury as per document settings.

2. I apply the built-in Markdown prototype.

3. I apply the built-in Markdown highlighter. The typeface of text is now Ideal Sans.

If I invert the order of step 2 and 3, the result doesn’t change: the typeface changes from Mercury to Ideal Sans. The typeface doesn’t change if I only apply the Markdown prototype or the Markdown highlighter.

Is the typeface change the intended behavior or am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do on my end to force the typeface to remain Mercury when I apply both the Markdown prototype and the Markdown highlighter?

Thank you for your consideration.

Best wishes,
Enrico

Perhaps $TextFont of the Markdown prototype is set to Ideal?

You’re right: the TextFont attribute of the built-in Markdown prototype is Ideal Sans, so I modified the built-in prototype to create a custom prototype that has the typeface I like and that is available to all my Tinderbox files as described here.

I still don’t understand why the typeface doesn’t change to Ideal Sans when I apply the built-in Markdown prototype; it only changes when I apply both the Markdown prototype and the Markdown highlighter.

In any case, thank you for the prompt and helpful reply.

Best regards,
Enrico

Tinderbox is conservative about changing fonts. This is a heritage from the old days, when changing fonts could change the glyphs of the text. Still, Tinderbox assumes that, if you have chosen (say) Century Oldstyle, you meant it! So Tinderbox is really reluctant to change fonts (and other things) you have actually chosen.

I think the highlighter assumes that your TextFont is the font you want. I can see cute ways to emphasize the highlighted. segments this way! I’ll take a look at what’s going on.

Thank you for providing context and for looking into that.

Best regards,
Enrico