What determines the appearance of URLs pasted into $Text?

Hi all - question about why pasted URLs appear different depending on the source and destination…

I’m guessing that the variation is due to rtf style information that’s passing through invisibly to Tbx? Even so, selecting /Format/Standard Font and /Format/Standard Size has no visible effect on these pasted URLs.

I’d like to set a universal style so all URLs look similar (in $Text attribute). Suggestions as to how I might go about that welcomed… :slight_smile:

Is the issue having anchor text versus seeing the actual URL? Regardless, Tinderbox now since (v9?) adopts smart URLs.

Tinderbox $Text formation (Format/Style menu) can change the look—colour, font, size—of the anchor or URl. But it can’t alter the anchor text mapping to the URL, though the target URL itself can be changed via Browse Links.

Not sure if that is any use. If not, if you have a screengrab or TBX illustrating problem that might help.

1 Like

Thanks @mwra - I started playing with importing URLs into Tbx via several different methods… and discovered the issue isolated to 2 of my project files - specifically in the /Document Settings/Colors. Switching themes has cleared the offending behavior, whatever it might be. Relieved!

Ah. Two issues to consider.

How colours are changed. Essentially, the trick Tinderbox pulls off with colour schemes is to alter the colour values for existing ‘named’ colours. IOW, the colours you see defined in the Colors Inspector. So, after applying a new scheme, the default ‘blue’ might actually be a brown-ish colour but still be called ‘blue’. That might seem counter-intuitive but if you use action code to change colours, your code setting the colour ‘blue’ will still work and but the new colour will be used on screen. An issue can occur where one scheme sets a colour and another doesn’t reset it. I thought the current in-app schemes had been corrected for that, but perhaps not. Or, you may be using your own custom TBC file.

OS Dark/Light mode. This now seems to have settled down a bit and if you use on mode or the other gremlins should be away. We easily overlook that apart from fill colours changing, auto-contrasted colours like button labels need to adjust and occasionally don’t. So, watch for that. Generally if you use and stick to light OR dark mode across the board, things should be OK. I think those who—for whatever reasons–have or choose to toggle modes are more likely to trip over mode change colour mis-mapping.

Nice as dark mode is for casual domestic use, I find I get too much eyestrain (insufficient contrast) in dark mode so after initial tries a few years back, I’ve returned to using only light mode; but that’s a personal take, YMMV re contrast. Anyway, I mention the latter as it means my experience of/expertise with dark mode is less. The nice thing is, we have a choice, Tinderbox supports both and people can choose what suits their taste/eyes. :slight_smile:
HTH

Thanks for the crisp explanation! I had been noticing this issue over the past few months and put off dealing with it… I think it could all have started a few years back when Dark Mode was introduced. I remember trying it and being put off by the same lack of contrast as well as the fact that Dark Mode turned bushels of my $Text invisible in various windows, including the master pane in Outline View. So I backed out of that direction pretty fast.

Of course now that I can actually see the links I am realizing that hundreds of URLs I’ve pulled into my affected Tbx project files are not “activated”, as in I’m having to hit ‘Return’ at the end of the text to turn them into clickable links…

1 Like

Not our fault; that’s true of all Macintosh smart links.

1 Like