What is the query for finding all the linked notes?

The answer to this would help me and perhaps others while exploring the new hyperbolic view.

Thank you.

…all the linked notes?
Linked to what? The selected note? Any/all notes linked via some means to the connected note?

The hyperbolic view shows the latter. there isn’t, as far as I know, as query that does this. Even if there was, it would be not that useful as it would flatten all the link paths to a distance of one. Also, bear in mind issues of scale, for a document of 50 notes vs one of 5000?

What do you envisage a query equalling the whole hyperbolic view explaining? I’m not suggesting it has no purpose, but am interested in how you would use it.

My case: the document of 8000+ notes is viewed as outline most of the time. I want to find the infrequent linked notes, pick one, and start a meaningful insightful hyperbolic view. Perhaps this only comes up while playing around excitedly with this new feature. Real workflow will show if a “$islinked” would be useful, and there are likely workarounds…

You could use Attribute Browser, add columns to count inbound and outbound links, then sort on one or the other link counts to see “infrequent[ly] linked notes”

Thank you for the comments. Is the query

$OutboundLinkCount = true | $InboundLinkCount = true

a proper solution? It lists aliases of notes with links. Select the original note from the list and evoke hyperbolic view.

In such a scenario, look at the data type of the attribute you are testing - you can do this for System Attributes using the document Inspector’s System tab. Doing so you will see that both $OutboundLinkCount & $InboundLinkCount are Number-type attributes. Therefore the appropriate query would be:

$OutboundLinkCount > 0 | $InboundLinkCount > 0

Your version of the query might work, but only accidentally, as 0 is the default value for number type and that coerces to a Boolean false. Any other number value will coerce to true.

Summary, if in doubt, start by looking up the data type(sd) of the attribute(s) in question.

Sorry, my suggestion was terse. This is simple to set up. Queries not needed. Just add columns for the link count attributes, and sort on either $InboundLinkCount or $OutboundLinkCount. Select a note of interest, then change the type of the AB tab you are looking at to Hyperbolic.

↓↓

2 Likes

Thank you for the correction and the detail on doing this in the attribute browser without query.

1 Like