Apply a template at root level to preview children of children notes

For a quick preview and for test purposes, I would like to apply 1 template at the root level and see a preview for all children of children notes.

My structure looks like:

Root
— Folder
------ Note
------ Note
------ Note
— Folder
------ Note
------ Note
------ Note

Right now, I use three templates to preview the content of note(s) using “children(template)”. Root and Folder(s) have Attributes which I reference from Note(s). As I change the template very often, it would be easier to maintain only 1 template.

Is it possible like in the scenario above to generate a preview by using 1 single template?

I tried to use an agent. But as I want reference Attributes in Root and Folder(s) it doesn’t work (for my knowledge).

Thanks in advance for your support.

Hi @Gernot, Thanks for the message. I am a bit confused. When you refer to “template” are you actually referring to a “prototype” or an actual output template that would be used for Preview and/or Export?

Your Folder can use OnAdd actions that apply prototypes. These prototypes can be assigned default templates. Also, you can use the document inspector to easily switch between templates, or Stamps if if you’d like. I use tons of templates, e.g. one of my files has 50+, for different purposes and nuances.

Let me know if you’d like o hop on a zoom call.

It is likely you are using $SomeAttribute(parent) with an intrinsic attribute, i.e. one where an original and its aliases have different values for the s_same_ attribute.

But, in an agent, the parent of an alias is the agent. So, if you want the alias to get a value from the original use $SomeAttribute(parent(original)).

In the example below, the agent has the query inside("Holder") and the action:

$Text = $Name(parent)+"\n"+$Name(parent(original));

The result is seen here:

Untitled 2021-04-19 15-27-17

1 Like

I was referring to output templates which I use to preview. I usually don’t need the export function as I only need a quick overview on all the notes (scenes) for my outline I am working on.

Thanks @mwra, that was the thing I am was looking for.»Original« makes a lot of sense :o)

1 Like