Decision making approach analogous to mathematical union of sets / intersection of sets

Hi,
I have the following dream:
I need to do some decision making, let’s assume we need to pick a choice for a new vehicle. The vehicle might be a plain car but might also be a station wagon or a van. It might run on fuel or gasoline or LPG or electrical or hybrid or…
Vehicle might be new or second hand.
I think you get the idea.

I was wondering if it would be possible to present this in a mathematical way, using e.g union of sets and / or combined with the intersection of the various elements.
Please mind that I am totally non-familiar with “English” vocabulary in the field of mathematics. (Native Dutch)

Would it be possible to lay this out in a Tinderbox map?
What are your thoughts?

As an illustration I add an image representing a Union of Sets, that I found on mathgoodies.com.

union_example1

A Venn diagram, as in your picture, is not possible at present. The logical approach might be two circle-shaped smart adornments. However, when smart adornments overlap their queries do not interact, the top (frontmost) adornment’s query applies across the whole of the adornment.

But, you could make three adornments, one for each case: A NOT B, A & B, B NOT A.

But a Venn diagram, no for now.

While the map view won’t automatically arrange notes in your diagram, there’s nothing to stop you from doing it yourself!

And, if you really want it to happen magically, you could do this with three adornments: Band, Chorus, and Both.

Gentlemen,
Thanks for hopping in!
@mwra, don’t focus on the shape, not important at all, this is inherited from the mathematics analogy - it’s the principle that counts…

@eastgate, thanks for titilating me :wink:
I have this urge within that says: “Yeah, you’re starting to have a better understanding, insight in what this tEnderbox can do…” or maybe it’s just Yoda’s voice…
But the adornments Band and Chorus are new to me…

FF to the Atbref and do a search, you will :wink:
<= silly me! They are off course in the pasted math example and not within TBX!

P.S. If you feel inclined to do an example video on it, please don’t hesitate!!

If shape doesn’t matter, then use you can—in some cases—use multiple smart adornments as both I and @eastgate have already suggested.

† As the number of different ‘circles’ grows, i.e. discrete groupings, the layout may become difficult or confusing. But, that is probably also true of a Venn diagram with many groups.

For instance:

I used a set $Roles to assign roles to group members and the smart adornments are (reading left to right)

$Roles.contains("Band") & !($Roles.contains("Chorus"))
$Roles.contains("Band") & $Roles.contains("Chorus")
$Roles.contains("Chorus") & !($Roles.contains("Band"))

Take care a note does not belong to two groups or else the most recently added adornment (highest $OutlineOrder) matching an item will take precedence.

Here is the test file (made using v8.6.2b452 on macOS 10.14.6): venn-diagram.tbx (115.0 KB)

A huge thanks to both Marks!!
You are the best…

Looking forward to what other comments this topic will lead!
:innocent: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :smiley: