Tinderbox Forum

Display a date in the note's title?

Hi, there!

I am currently using Tinderbox to manage some large creative projects for myself.

One of these projects has several containers organized by what I need to research and do. As I work on my notes, I need to make some of them into tasks. I drag notes out of their original containers into my “Next-up Tasks” container which has the AddAction of turning the note light red and setting the start date to today, the current date on which I put the note into the container. In the inspector I have entered:

$Color=#D182A0;$StartDate=“today”;

which works great. The note changes color and I can easily see the correct position of the note in timeline view.

But when I put my notes in the container, I also want the StartDate to show in the title of the note so I can see it. It would be nice not to have to manually type in the start date on each note added.

I have searched the manual, online help, this forum and have read the Tinderbox Way, but really am not seeing or figuring how to do this.

Any ideas anybody? :slight_smile:

Arielle

If I’ve understood your situation correctly I think $DisplayExpression will achieve what you are looking for. Using a prototype, set its $DisplayExpression to a string incorporating $StartDate

Thanks Rob. :slight_smile:

So this is the note I start with:

screen4

This is the note I want to end up with – or something along these lines:

screen5

But when I put this into the Inspector:

This is what I end up with.

What am I doing wrong?

Arielle

Your error is the DisplayExpression code. you want it to be the title ($Name) plus the $StartDate, but you’ve coded it to be just the StartDate. Try:

$DisplayExpression=$Name+" "+$StartDate;

Better yet, go to the Title tab in the Inspector for the prototype note. There’s a text field for the display expression. Enter

$Name+" "+$StartDate;

1 Like

Gasp! That worked like magic!

Thank you Mark and Mark! Now I see what I was missing. :smile: