External links to tinderbox notes

I was starting to experiment with Tinderbox’s appleScript support, specifically to get links to individual notes. With that I was able to extract a link to a note. They look something like this:

tinderbox://myWiki2/Academic Disciplines/Social Sciences/Psychology?view=outline+select=1555427616;

If I put that into a text document (TextEdit), I can click on the link. It will then open the outline view and select the correct note in the outline view. However, the text window to the right is not in sync with the note. It shows the text of a different note. Does anyone have a clue why that would be the case? Any help would be appreciated.

For background info: This is a piece of getting to an integration of Tinderbox with Hook. Inching my way toward getting all the scripts in place to support that.

Ottmar

1 Like

I don’t have an answer for you, but thanks for letting us know about Hook. From my initial testing, it’s the app I’ve wanted for years.

I am a huge fan of x-devonthink-item:// links because they just work, even after moving and renaming things, and across devices. I’ve badly wanted a way to create universal links for files outside of DEVONthink.

I haven’t tested Hook across devices yet (I guess it supports dropbox) but after initial testing it looks very promising.

I think Tinderbox will be great for creating “meta views” of files. Super cool.

Actually looking at your example, I suspect this is just a bug. It’s nice to see that TB note links seem to have gotten some love – before, if you moved the note 1555427616 to a different container, then TB wouldn’t be able to find it. But now TB can find the note, which is a big improvement!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Hook is a single-device app for now.

See this

2 Likes

I did more testing, and I’m getting the same behavior if I get the note’s URL from the Note menu (even though the link doesn’t have the path in there). So I’m guessing my scripts I wrote for hook do something reasonable. BTW: I cross posted a similar question in the Hook forums as I wasn’t sure if I did something incorrect when cobbling together the applescripts that Hook needs.

Ah interesting. I saw this on their homepage:

Share hook:// links.

Share robust links to emails and versioned (e.g., GIT, SVN) or shared (e.g., Dropbox) files that your colleagues can instantly open on their Macs. Saves you both time and effort.

and was hopeful.

Anyway, multiple machine stuff will be a challenge. I don’t know how Hook is implemented, but I know one OS X feature is “file IDs” or something like that – which is how certain OS X applications are able to locate files even after they’ve been moved or renamed. The caveat is that it only works as long as the file stays on the same physical drive.

That said, Dropbox has a kind of similar feature, where when you copy the shareable link for a document, you can move it and rename it all you want and the link will still work. I had cobbled together some scripts for creating “universal links” based on this, but it was fiddly to work with.

Anyway, I’m speculating. I don’t know how it’s all built under the hood. But I’m keeping an eye on it for sure!

I’m curious if there has been progress getting Hook to work with TB documents lately. I live in TB, and just purchased Hook.

I just tested this (you could too :smile:):

1. If a note is selected in a Tinderbox document, and Hook is invoked, then Hook in Hook use Copy as Link, it will copy the file:/// address of the document.
  2. If a note is selected in Tinderbox and I use Note > Copy Note URL (or the shortcut), and then use Hook on something outside of Tinderbox (say, a file), then use Link to Copied URL in Hook, one can link something directly to a note.

Thus there is limited (but useful) integration already possible.

1. Since Tinderbox now has scripting, someone at Hook could write a script that invokes attribute of and grabs the content of $NoteURL and then deeper integration would be possible.

2 Likes

Yep. I noticed bullet point 1 above. Didn’t know about the second bullet point. What I was looking for was a nice icon to paste (as with apps Hook recognizes). I don’t really like the file:/// address string. But it does work. Thanks, Paul.

That’s why I made point #3 – if CogSCI wants to write a script to link directly to a note using Hook’s built-in script-running feature, it can.

I’ll post in their forum.

1 Like

Edit: weird, but I tested Hook + Tinderbox several times this afternoon, and then it suddenly stopped working with Tinderbox. Hmmm… certainly not a Tinderbox error, that’s for sure.

Hi, I’m from CogSci Apps. Thanks for all of this. We will try to build in the integration and let you know if we encounter any issues.

I’m looking forward to the integration.

6 Likes

Seems to be working here after adding a Tinderbox 8 entry in Hook preferences with a Get Name script:

tell application "Tinderbox 8"
    tell front document
        set xs to its selection
        if {} ≠ xs then
            value of (attribute "Name" of (item 1 of xs))
        else
            name of it
        end if
    end tell
end tell

and a Get Address script:

tell front document
        set xs to its selection
        if {} ≠ xs then
            set target to item 1 of xs
        else
            set target to it
        end if
        return value of (attribute "NoteURL" of target)
    end tell
end tell
7 Likes

I was counting on you, Rob! Thanks.

1 Like

Let me know if you think it needs adjustment.

(Perhaps it should be a little more defensive or less ‘partial’ – additionally covering, for example, the case where there is no document open in TB8)

Or more “plain vanilla” AppleScripty versions… (Not yet tested with Hook but results tested to be the same as @ComplexPoint scripts).

tell front document to if it exists then
		tell selection 1 to if it exists then return value of its attribute "Name"
		return value of its attribute "Name" -- "Name" of Tbx document if no note selected
	else
		error "No Tinderbox document open"
	end if
end tell

And…

tell front document to if it exists then
		tell selection 1 to if it exists then return value of its attribute "NoteURL"
		return value of its attribute "NoteURL" -- "NoteURL" of Tbx document if no note selected
	else
		error "No Tinderbox document open"
	end if
end tell

Interesting to learn about Hook!

JXA scripts as well?

1 Like

I’m not sure that Hook is capable of passing on error messages generated by embedded scripts. In my experience if it doesn’t succeed it just fails silently.

In principle one should be able to use JXA with the script starting with //JavaScript. This is a currently undocumented feature. I myself need to get clarity from our developer who added it! I will reply here when I have it.

Coincidentally, we have very recently added a failure notification in an unreleased build – the feature isn’t complete. We will document it in its release and I’ll update here accordingly. It should (at least optionally) pass on the message. Whether to use a macOS notification or just the status panel is a question. Probably should have a preference for this, and perhaps introduce a “Debug Mode” for Hook.

1 Like

Not quite there yet, I think :slight_smile:

At the moment following a //JavaScript line with JS values other than string literals returns either undefined or puzzling URL-encoded strings, which is:

• encouraging (certainly a sign of some JS evaluation going on)
  • not yet usable, I think, the expected string return mechanism is unclear (and there seems to be a missing urlDecode phase)
\\JavaScript
"hello" + "there"

hellothere

which seems a good start, but then

\\JavaScript
Application("Finder").name()

undefined

and least predictably of all:

this

%5Bobject%20GlobalObject%5D

Which suggests an opacity or slight oversight at some point in the process.

It will be very useful when it settles down, though.

PS a clue to some kind urlencode ⇄ urldecode gap is suggested by the fact that:

\\JavaScript
"hello there"

hello%20there

Updated versions of Hook scripts for Tinderbox:

2 Likes