Making a set of notes visible or invisible conditionally

Hi fellow tinderbox nerds,

Iā€™m not 100% sure if this is the right sub, but anyway. I have a document with a mind map of all the knowledge that you need to be an iOS developer. See below:

Iā€™m using Tinderbox to organize and create two iOS development courses and I will provide this ā€œmega cheatsheetā€ to the students along with a discount for Tinderbox.

Iā€™ll also use in a video that gives the ā€œbig pictureā€ of all the stuff you need to learn and how itā€™s organized. Thereā€™s one catch: that mind map is for a senior iOS developer. You donā€™t need to know everything in order to get a entry level job. I fear that students will freakout when they see the size of the map.

Iā€™d like to have a single map, but having 2 different views:

• Senior iOS Developer: display everything
  • Junior iOS Developer: display a subset of the notes and keep the rest hidden

Is there a way to do this with agents or something else? Iā€™d like to have a switch that turns on an off the extra notes.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

What I would do is have a boolean attribute such as $Senior which when True means the note applies to the senior level, and when false means the note does not apply,

Then have a stamp (or a couple of stamps to use as off / on toggles) that set $Color to ā€œtransparentā€, $Name and $Text to the same color as your background, and turns off visibility for the relevant links. The stamp could have a conditional like

if (!$Senior) { insert the actions here }

Thanks Paul! I clearly still have a lot to learn about Tinderboxā€¦ Iā€™ll look into to Stamps in the docs. If you have pointers of examples, Iā€™ll appreciate it (and pay it with a beer in the first opportunity :wink: )

Teetotaler here, but thanks for the offer :smile:

Check Mark Andersonā€™s (@mwra) starter template here

Iā€™ll check it out, thanks!

Interesting quest, @frr149 - and, again, nice suggestion from @PaulWalters. Thank you both.

May I suggest to look at Storyspace for tasks like this, in general and in particular at Howard Oakleyā€™s wonderful tutorial which might be just what youā€™re looking for. Paul Walterā€™s cool suggestions seems to go in the same direction.

1 Like