Tinderbox Forum

Prototype Aliases

Dear all,

I have just noticed that in one of my Tinderbox files the name of two prototypes I made some time ago are italicized, which I think means they are aliases; however, I don’t remember using any of the commands the aTbRef lists as ways to create an alias (e.g., Option+Shift+drag or Command+L). I was therefore wondering whether there are other ways to create aliases — and which I may have inadvertently used… And is there a way to turn those prototype aliases of mine into “original” prototypes? Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,
Enrico

An alias is always an alias; select it and choose Edit ▸ Show Original to locate the original.

Note that it’s possible to set $NameFont to an italic font. I think that’s a bad idea, but Tinderbox lets you do it.

Agents create aliases, of course.

Thank you for the clarification. The $NameFont of that note was not set to italics, so the note must really be an alias. I had already tried to locate the original note, but the “Show Original” option is grayed out for that alias (see attached screenshot), suggesting the original note is not in the same file as its alias. But is it even possible to have original notes in one file and aliases in another? If so, is there any way for me to locate the original note? If it is instead impossible to have original notes in one file and aliases in another, would you have any idea what is going on with that alias? Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,
Enrico

No, the original and alias much be in the same file.

If you can share the file here, or email it to bernstein@eastgate.com, I can get to the bottom of this.

Thank you very much for the clarification and for looking into that for me. I will email you the file, so that I won’t end up taking too much space on this site. If it turns out that what you find out may be of interest to other users, I would be happy to report back here with a copy of the file. Thank you very much again.

Best regards,
Enrico

It turns out that the prototypes were not aliases, but simply were using an italic $NameFont.

I stand corrected, then: I had mentioned in a previous post that the $NameFont of the notes in question suggested that the font was not italics, but I was clearly mistaken. Thank you very much again for looking into this matter for me and for teaching me how to use the $NameFont and $IsAlias attributes!

Best regards,
Enrico